Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LensPen - worries

LensPen - worries

Ok, so yesterday my lenspen arrived, and being curious as to what it was i opened it and had the urge to touch it.
    But I didn't for fear of getting it dirty.

What I did is wipe my thumbnail with it and it left a black residue on it, after reading the packaging it says it uses some sort of carbon for cleaning.
    My worry comes in with if I wipe my sensor with it, isn't it going to be leaving that same dark carbon residue on my sensor? Can't imagine that I want that to happen?

Thoughts?

Re: LensPen - worries

so if is a lenspen, isn't it supposed to clean lenses? so what is the deal with cleaning the sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by adrian mandea

so if is a lenspen, isn't it supposed to clean lenses? so what is the deal with cleaning the sensor?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Oops.
    Should have elaborated a bit, it's the LensPen SensorKlear pen.
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/LensPen-SensorKlear-Review.aspx

sorry dude, i don't know what to say but i have no problem with my camera's sensor and i have been use it for almost a year now.no dust (i used to live in qatar, now i live in uae, so a lot of dust)no specs ,the sensor is clean.i have 3 lenses so i change them a lot.maybe someone else can help you with your problem, i can't

take care

Quote Originally Posted by Ifmracing

Ok, so yesterday my lenspen arrived, and being curious as to what it was i opened it and had the urge to touch it.
    But I didn't for fear of getting it dirty.

What I did is wipe my thumbnail with it and it left a black residue on it, after reading the packaging it says it uses some sort of carbon for cleaning.
    My worry comes in with if I wipe my sensor with it, isn't it going to be leaving that same dark carbon residue on my sensor? Can't imagine that I want that to happen?

Thoughts?

I have the Lenspen, and it does leave a bit of residue on the lens that comes off easily with the brush. I'm not sure that it really makes a difference because there is always a layer of something stuck on all surfaces due to pesky static (which drives me insane, for some reason).

haha, lfmracing you should have specified what you actually bought. Lenspen is the brand, which offers both "lens pen" and "sensor pen".

Regarding the sensor pen, I didn't notice it leaves carbon residue (maybe I didn't test). I have applied it in sensor cleaning several times. I guess what you need to make sure to do is after cleaning with the sensor pen, use the blower to give some good burst of air to the sensor area WHILE keeping the lens mount facing down (so the carbon residues, if any will be blown out and fall down)

I have another "lens pen", I do notice they leave black residue, because I used lens cloth to wipe the front glass after the "lens pen" is applied. I think this carbon thingy is the material that helps absorb oils from fingerprints.

Albeit so, I am still reluctant to use the brush part of "lens pen" on the front glass cuz it does not seem so soft that it would scratch the surface...ok I admit I am a little paranoid.

Glass is a pretty hard material, but dust can scratch it if it is on the lens and is wiped with a lens cloth, I can't imagine a brush scratching a lens, and I would doubt a brush would be able to make dust scratch it also.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim

Glass is a pretty hard material, but dust can scratch it if it is on the lens and is wiped with a lens cloth, I can't imagine a brush scratching a lens, and I would doubt a brush would be able to make dust scratch it also.
    Ditto on that point. It's the lens coating that gets scratched anyway. Consider how many times we all clean mirrors and windows with windex and a paper towel. I can't say that I've ever caused scatches in glass around the house...oh crap, I'd better take a closer look

Anyone else with experience with the SensorPen? and is this normal?

I haven't noticed any carbon, but then I wasn't looking forit either. The SensorKlear pen has worked well on my cameras. It is an inexpensive, safe method to clean sensor dust. BTW, I recommend using a rocket blower first.