Page 73 of 558 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Tadas, nice shots as usual, like them very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadas N.
    In one day I take 600-1000 photos (and spend 8-11 hours)

Wow, I wish I can do that, I can only shoot 2 hours/week, kids have been ruining my life[]

only some images are good. Do you have any tips?

get 1DIV and 600mm 4.0 II[:P]

anyway, I like your work, keep them coming!

Fast Glass,I haven't seen your post when I wrote mine. That what you say about ISO is very interesting... Just I didn't understood everything clearly, maybe because I'm not good in English. As I understood, I should use ISO 400-800-1600, not between stops. And it's better to use 320-640-1250 than 500-1000-2000. Am I right?

-----------------------------------

The EXIF data of the first shot:

1/80 (because there was some sunshine through trees )

f/5.6

ISO 500

250mm

Of the second one:

1/50

f/5.6

ISO 500

300mm

I don't think it'snecessaryto post a bad shot, because bad shots are usually not sharp because of the movement of bird or slight camera shake. I've noticed that I get more sharp shots with shorter exposure time, but sometimes it's not enough light to use it. Earlier I was photographing with ISO 1600, but I was getting much too much noise, so I decided to use ISO not higher than 500. Also the DOF usually was too shallow, but I didn't want close aperture because I didn't have enough light, so I reduced the focal length. I use a tripod, but sometimes with longer exposures I get not sharp images. It would be very difficult to use a remote control because birds move very fast. Actually that fast birds' moving is the main reason of blurry images. However I don't know how to make them to be in one place longer (when they are still without food in their bill).

I think if I don't find a way to make birds pose longer, I will need to use a flash. As I said, I have tried some times to photograph with it, but birds usually fly away when I'm using it. But maybe after some time they will use to it? Additionally, when I set the camera's flash to give more light I get unnatural colors. Is it possible to solve this problem? Or is it necessary to buy some external flashes? Actually I have not enough money for a new lens/camera, even for external flash, but after some saving, it would be possible to buy it. But... maybe it's possible to make something with camera's fash?Thanks in advance!
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]It sounds like your getting blurry images due to a slow shutter speed, because you don&rsquo;t have enough light, and you&rsquo;re not able to optimize your settings due to increased noise. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]So, I will assume that it&rsquo;s not an auto focusing problem.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]I think the 2 shots that you posted are good. The IS inside the lens or your tripod can help with camera shake, but obviously not with subject motion. You seem to understand enough about exposure, that I agree with you. The only way to get faster shutter speeds is by using a higher ISO, but that introduces more noise and then use software to try and reduce the noise. Since you can't make the birds pose longer, you will need a faster lens. A faster lens f/2.8 or f/4, or larger camera sensor are both more expensive. You can still get some decent DOF for the object in focus at f/2.8 and f/4at longer focal lengths. Keep in mind that f/4 will let in twice as much light as f/5.6, and f/2.8 will let in 4 times as much light as f/5.6. This additional light will greatly improve your shutter speed.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Unfortunately, you may have reached your equipment limitations within the environment that<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]you are using it in.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]You may be limited to areas with fewer trees or better lighting.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Longer exposures will blur the bird or leaves if there is some wind. The other option is artificial lighting or flash, which I don&rsquo;t use, so I&rsquo;m sure that there are other people here to help you with that, better than I can. <o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Rich<o></o>

I don't shoot a lot of small birds cause the limitation of my lenses and also I'm so lazy doing any setting up. here are couple of my favorites.

7D, 300mm 2.8, f2.8,1/1000,ISO100(I took these shots 8 month ago, I would use smaller aperture if I shot them today)

C&amp;C welcome and thanks for viewing

JJ,

Great pictures.

Brant

As I understood, I should use ISO 400-800-1600, not between stops. And it's better to use 320-640-1250 than 500-1000-2000. Am I right?

Yep.

Sorry it took so long to respond, when I had time the forum didn't work or if it worked I didn't have time!

John.

thank you , Brant

Amazing captures JJphoto. It is super hard to catch little birds in flight and you have done a great job. Lovely, just lovely.

thanks Jayson!

that was my first time seeing a bird flying like a hummingbird, it stopped moving in the air for seconds, that's how I could capture the actions of this little bird. I felt so lucky and excited after seeing the result in the lcd screen though it's not perfect technically. I havn't got any chance to shoot like this since then.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/480x320/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-46-19/_5F00_MG_5F00_0005_5F00_DxO-_2800_Large_2900_.jpg[/img]heres another bald eagle pict from this week...... rod

JJPhoto - Your shots are really beautiful! I especially like the second one! Awesome!

Denise