Thread: Your experience with the new EF 70-200/2.8 L IS USM II

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Your experience with the new EF 70-200/2.8 L IS USM II

It took some time for me to get used to this lens, I have always used
    Canon primes. Until I went a little crazy and purchased a EF 70-200/2.8
    L IS USM II and then I bought Efs 17-55 F2.8is for a 50d.

You can get some great sharp shots from the EF 70-200/2.8 L IS USM
    II, but I find its range limited on a crop body, its far more useable on
    my 5d mkii, but thats just for what I shoot. Its a very heavy lens and
    very solid. You will now you have been carrying at the end of the day. I
    feel you really need a grip on your camera if your going to hand hold
    for shots as it gives a little bit more balance.

The first 3 pictures all taken using a 50d and EF 70-200/2.8
    L IS USM II

Canon 5d mkii + EF 70-200/2.8
    L IS USM II

All the shots hand held, shot in AV mode. Auto WB. Hand held with no flash etc.

My problem to begin with was the limited range the Lense would offer on the crop body, for indoor use and close shots. On a full frame it really has become a very well used Lens. I shoot mainly weddings and commercial photography. As you can see you can get some nice portraits with it on a crop body, but you just need to have a little bit more room and space and as your used to the bigger Zooms anyway Im sure you would be very very happy with it.

In short its a very very, sweet lens and can produce some very crisp and sharp images, without having to mess about in photogshop as I like to try and use my pictures as much as possible AS TAKEN. :-)

Impressive shots! Thank you, it is certainly a great lens. Well, I am used to heavy gear, and I think if I invest in this lens, I may keep my light 70-200/4 for those days I do not want heavy gear.

I know about the limitations of a 70-200 on a crop body, as I use sometimes my Tamron 70-200/2.8 indoors. But I have in mind from technical data that you can get closer with the EF 70-200/2.8 II than with the Mark I version. So you can use it better for portrait. Or am I wrong?

It does make a good portrait lens and can produce some very sharp shots. You will just need a little bit more room using a crop body.

I have found I use the lens more on my 5d now, although when Im shooting weddings I will use it on a 50d with the crop body for the extra reach.

Hope you have some fun if you decide to purchase the lens, you could always hire one for the day and have a play.

Quote Originally Posted by peterborough_photography
    Hope you have some fun if you decide to purchase the lens, you could always hire one for the day and have a play.

Thanks for your nice help! Yes I could hire one in a pro shop here in Frankfurt and I think I'll do that the next time I see a good occasion. Maybe with children in a zoo, then I have both the chance of portrait shots and animals of different sizes and at variing distances.