Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunset Surf: C&C

Sunset Surf: C&C

I shot these all last weekend. I shot them really quickly, almost like panning, so as not burn out the Camera's sensor.

What do you guys think of these? They have minimal processing. Does this first shot work, or is it too dark?

EOS-7D, EF- 300mm f/2.8L IS, @ f/10, 1/500sec, ISO 100, 0ev

7D: 300mm @ f/2.8, 1/5000sec, ISO 100

7D: 300mm @ f/2.8, 1/1600sec, ISO 100

7D: 300mm @ f/2.8, 1/1250sec, ISO 100

Thanks for your input,

Rich

Re: Sunset Surf: C&C

WOW! Fantastic captures!! I think the last two are my favorites overall but I do really like the background on the left of the very first photo! What filter did you use with these, Rich?

Denise

Great photos Rich.

My fav is #2 but I can

Hi Rich-

Wonderful captures! The first shot does work, better than the 2nd, IMO. The last one is my favorite - seems to capture the essence of the ocean and the relatively small surfers help with that impression. Only change I'd make to that last one would be to crop a few pixels from the right side to remove the partially-shown person.

Great work!

--John

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

WOW! Fantastic captures!! I think the last two are my favorites overall but I do really like the background on the left of the very first photo! What filter did you use with these, Rich?

Denise

Hi, Denise,

Thank You very much! I didn't use any filters, not even a polarizing filter. I don't even think that the 300mm f/2.8L IS, takes any other filters besides the Canon Circular- Polarizer, where it is inserted before the other lens elements near the camera body. I usually use the Circ-Pol when shooting in the harsh mid day light, however, I was shooting this surfing session after work ( I'll post some Surfing action from this same day in an other thread soon) and it was partially overcast, and then as the Sun was setting I couldn't get the speeds I wanted of the Surfing, without introducing too much noise or blur, so you know the saying when given lemons make lemonade. So, I focused my attentions on the Surf and the Sunset.

The pictures are obviously posted in reverse order in regards to the setting Sun. I guess I loaded then backwards.

I don't own or know how to use photoshop, however that's one of my goals. So, these just went through some simple PP in Aperture. It seems that the only adjustment that I bumped up "a lot" was the highlights in #2, #3, and #4, while a few other settings like exposure, contrast, black point, shadows, sat, and vibr, were only adjusted by 1/10th or 1/100th of a point increments.

If you think it would be valuable to you, I would be more than happy to post the originals with the adjustment settings. Just don't think less of me when you see the originals. []

Rich

Great shots!!! My favs are #2 adn #3. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McSweeney

Great photos Rich.

My fav is #2 but I can't really say why. I think just scanning across the various silouettes (sp?).

On #1 I preferred it when I hid some of the bottom so the horizon is at bottom 3rd line. Not quite so much dark area. However my monitor is a laptop, not calibrated and isn't proper aspect ratio, so that may not really work.

Paul.

Thanks for your suggestion Paul, its greatly appreciated!

I'll try that and repost it when I get a chance. Cropping out some additional dark, dead space area at the bottom, will probably help, because I think there is too much dark space too!

I'm off to my day job now, so that I can rescue some new gear that are being held in captivity at B&H.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Hi Rich-

Wonderful captures! The first shot does work, better than the 2nd, IMO. The last one is my favorite - seems to capture the essence of the ocean and the relatively small surfers help with that impression. Only change I'd make to that last one would be to crop a few pixels from the right side to remove the partially-shown person.

Great work!

--John

.....Hey Matt, Thanks Man!

Hi John,

Thanks for your suggestions. The image to the right side of the last photo is a rock from the Jetty, and you can see another one towards the left in the frame, but regardless of what the object is, you're right it's cut off, so it can be distracting, so I'll have it removed!

Anything about the 2nd shot that you think I can improve on?

Thanks again everyone!

The Lines are still open and we are still taking calls!

Rich

Nice set of beach sunset shots Rich, like the lighting very much! and # 3 and #4 are my favorite. IMO, I

You
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com