Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.2 and the Sigma 50mm 1.4

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.2 and the Sigma 50mm 1.4

I have never used the Sigma, but I have seen really good photos from it and if I was a little more budget conscience I

Boy,...don't I sound like a greenhorn...[:#]

I recently purchased the canon 50 f1.4. I must have gotten one of the best copies because I do not see where the negative comments are coming from. It seems to focus just a fast and accurate as my "L" glass. It is sharper at f1.4 than I expected but not near as sharp as stopped down 2/3rds or more. I picked it up because I sometimes need a fast 50 but I do not use it much.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DLS

Boy,...don't I sound like a greenhorn...[img]/emoticons/emotion-16.gif[/img]

I don't think so -- your post was great.

I agree. Every input is welcome!

If it will be of any help I could post a sample of the Sigma with a 100 percent crop. Just let me know.

And to be honest DLS...sometimes we do get a bit too serious and pixel-fanatic around here [] And we might forget the simple things we take for granted.

Thank you all for your contributions, everyone has a story and while the technical detail is great, I find it very easy to identify and relate to the real life experiences, especially those people that are starting out and just trying to get better and learn.

I would appreciate samples (Jan) from the different lenses.

And perhaps comments on prime lens use. I wonder if you have the 50 1.2 if you leave it on your camera more often?

And if you have the 50 1.4
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

<p class="first"]Ihaven't used the Canon versions, but I do own (and love) the Sigma 50 1.4. It originally front focused on my 50D (and then 7D) requiring a +20 MA. I eventually brought my lens and camera to a Sigma repair center. After calibration, my lens is now spot on (there was indeed a needed firmware updatefor the lens).
    <p class="first"]This lens issharp wide open with beautiful colors and phenomenal bokeh. Perhaps not as great as the Canon 1.2, but I think superior to the Canon 1.4.
    <p class="first"]Indoors, I tend to use my Canon 17-55 the majority of the time for it's versatility. But in dim lighting, even f/2.8 with IS isn't always enough. That's when I switch to my Sigma. Obviously, you have to be careful shooting wide open with such a thin DOF. Now that I think of it, I don't often use the lens for outdoor photography.
    <p class="first"]The lens excels at portrait shots, and that's what Iroutinely use it for. Sometimes I do wish I had something a little wider shooting indoors, though. Maybe a 28or 30 mm would do the trick.
    <p class="first"]Here are just a couple of samples of the Sigma in action (on a 50D):[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1100x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/8814.IMG_5F00_9214.JPG[/img][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1100x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/6330.IMG_5F00_8141.JPG[/img][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1100x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/3513.IMG_5F00_8099.JPG[/img]
    <p class="first"]Oh, and here is a 100% crop of the 1st image:
    <p class="first"][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1100x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/4111.IMG_5F00_9214crop.jpg[/img]

They are sensational pics John, thank you for sharing.

The third one really shows how thin the dof is, with the hair at the back of her head out of focus, but her pretty brown eyes and your reflection in them spot on focus. Thank you, the sigma certainly seems worth persevering with to get it right.

Cheers,

Steve
    Steve U

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U

And perhaps comments on prime lens use. I wonder if you have the 50 1.2 if you leave it on your camera more often?

And if you have the 50 1.4's if you tend to pick your moments a bit more, but usually something else is on the camera.

I have a 24 1.4 and it is on the 7D nearly all the time.

Thanks, Steve
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

My 50 1.2 stays on my 1DsII 95% of the time and the combo has become my favorite and most used.

When I owned the 50 1.4, it rarely came out of the case. I didn't like the IQ and I preferred the 24-70 over it. Not the case with 50 1.2.

When I shot crop I loved my 24 1.4 and it rarely left my 40D. When I went FF the 24 seemed to wide so I got the 35 1.4.

Thanks Keith, I rented the 50 1.2 over the weekend and it is very good lens. I found the focusing to be spot on and very fast considering i had a wet weekend and most of the shots were indoors. Chased the dogs and the wife around the house with the 50. Wife was ready to throw the remote at me and then we lost power, fuse on the pole blew, so without electricity and me with a camera she decided she didn
    Steve U