Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallet full of $100 bills

Re: Wallet full of $100 bills

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    As always, any and all opinions and/or comments (such as 'dude, forget the 5DII, you're only a few hundred $ away from a 500mm f/4L IS') are welcome!

yes John, that's what I want to say, seriously. basically you are taking some travel pictures and what's wrong with your 7D? is it not good enough to take travel pictures?especially you already have bunch of good lenses. take the 7D with you to China and take bunch of pictures and come back, post some pictures and tell people here that those pictures were taken with 5DII see what they are going to say.

go get the 500mm 4.0 now, go out and shoot hundreds maybe thousands of pictures, then if you are not going to say "I should have had this baby a lot earlier", please sell this baby to me !( <span style="font-size: xx-small;"]at a discounted price of course, oh, the 5DII too, if you decide to get one)[]

Thanks for the comments so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    I think you're going to be a happy camper.

I expect that I will. And thanks! (For your earlier advice, and also for not saying now what I'm thinking of myself...the thick-skulled brain scientist has finally seen the light of reason [I] ). []

Still pondering the lens choices...reading reviews, getting more interested in the TS-E. 24mm? 17mm? Or just a wide 'regular' prime? I do share the concern thatHDNitehawk expressed...14mm is really wide!

Hmmmm...

dude, forget the 5DII, you're only a paypal transaction away from making me one happy camper!

Okay, but seriously, I rented the 135 f/2 for a wedding this weekend, I'll let you know how it does on my 5DII. I'm excited, the only prime I've shoot with is the nifty-fifty, so it should be a real treat.

I am most definitely going FF asap! I was on a nature walk this morning with my 7D and 100-400mm on my camera &amp; a bag of lenses on my back. Every time I wanted wide angle for landscape shots I had the 100-400mm on and when I put the wide angle on I needed reach. All I could think about was how a two camera hike would be AWESOME!! So I think a FF camera is at the top of my list and the new 70-300mm moved down a notch!

All I want for Christmas is Neuro

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    All I want for Christmas is Neuro's wallet!

Getin line, Denise
    Bob

I totall ADORE my 5D2, for some reason the skin tones are amazing and there
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    I totally ADORE my 5D2

I suspect I'll feel the same when mine shows up at my door in a few days. []

I'm still thinking about the 135mm f/2L, but I want to see how the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II does on the 5DII before making a final decision on that. The 135mm f/2L on FF will most closely approximate the results from the 85mm f/1.2L on crop in terms of focal length and DoF wide open, but the 70-200 II should make a really nice portrait lens on FF, too!

My main concern at the moment is the wide end. I'm debating between the 17mm and 24mm TS-E lenses, but I will also probably want an ultrawide zoom for more typical landscape shots and more versatility. Since I would primarily be using an UWA zoom stopped down, it seems logical to get the 17-40mm rather than the 16-35mm... In fact, I may even do that first, and check out 17mm vs 24mm there to help me decide which TS-E I would prefer.

I agree that 24mm is sort of an 'in-between' focal length, but it is a useful one and I like the idea of a razor-sharp-to-the-corners 24mm lens (as opposed to the 17-40mm or 24-105mm lenses at 24mm, or even the 24mm f/1.4L II prime). Also, some of the TS-E effects on DoF (specifically the ability to make it ultrathin) are masked by the FOV of the 17mm lens. Finally, I'm a bit concerned about that beautiful but bulbous front element...

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    I totally ADORE my 5D2

I suspect I'll feel the same when mine shows up at my door in a few days. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Wow I missed out I see [:O] Start saying goodbye to your 7D, that 5D is going to rock your socks off []

Seriously it sounds like a great idea. (At least if you weren't looking to buy a 500mm f4 or so in close future) That 5D is brilliant. I think you're going to appreciate your current lenses a lot more now. That 24-105 is going to be a great walk-around lens and the primes....I rented a 70-200 f2.8 about a week ago. In the past I used the f4 version on a crop and I didn't see much use for it, but for sports. However having used one of a FF camera...it makes a lot more sense! It's absolutely great for portraits. I loved the results. Hope you do the same.

About those TS-E's ... I'm already looking forward to some results []I personally would think 24mm would be a minimum on FF. I'd like 17mm better I think, given the field of view of that lens and the purposes it serves. I can live with 24mm being the widest I can go on FF, but with a special lens like the TS-E's I think I would like to go even wider.

Good luck and have fun with your new toy [Y]

Congrats, John!! I am very much looking forward to hearing your opinions of this camera for it is at the top of my future purchase list!

Enjoy!

Denise

My main concern at the moment is the wide end. I'm debating between the 17mm and 24mm TS-E lenses, but I will also probably want an ultrawide zoom for more typical landscape shots and more versatility. Since I would primarily be using an UWA zoom stopped down, it seems logical to get the 17-40mm rather than the 16-35mm... In fact, I may even do that first, and check out 17mm vs 24mm there to help me decide which TS-E I would prefer.

I agree that 24mm is sort of an 'in-between' focal length, but it is a useful one and I like the idea of a razor-sharp-to-the-corners 24mm lens (as opposed to the 17-40mm or 24-105mm lenses at 24mm, or even the 24mm f/1.4L II prime).

I think you are on the right path. This is a quote from Bryan's TS-E 24mm review, and I find myself suffering from it "&lt;Buyer's Remorse Protection&gt;Owners of the not-much-older Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L II USM Lens can rest assured that their 24mm lens is a match physically and comes very close optically at equal apertures. The EF 24 L II has a much wider aperture available - and it has AF (autofocus).&lt;/Buyer's Remorse Protection&gt; " I think deciding between the TS-E 17mm and 24mm is how wide do you go.

Personally I am thinking about either the TS- 24mm or the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 Distagon for landscapes for myself.

After the poker game last Sunday night I had the $100 bills in my wallet to buy one or the other, but last nights game left me a few bills short, so I am still deciding.

After you have a few weeks of first hand experience with your new 5d mark II I will be curious to hear how you feel it compares to your 7d