Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best setting for Canon 18-55 lens for photos of paintings

Re: best setting for Canon 18-55 lens for photos of paintings

Quote Originally Posted by Hillel
    Anyone else want to comment about "noticeable" differences before I run out and buy the Canon 50mm f1.8???

No other comment on difference for shooting paintings on a wall, no. But, a fast prime is a very different lens than a slow zoom. Assuming you intend to shoot subjects other thanpaintings on a wall, the 50mm f/1.8 can enable you to learn a lot about aperture, depth of field, and composition (by restricting you to a single focal length).

Just my 2 cents...

You did not quite understand the difference between those two posts saying about starting with the 40mm focal length (that regards your zoom lens) and employing the 50mm prime lens (which is a different lens).

The lens is certainly of utmost importance and I agree with everything that neuroanatomist has said. Suggestion that you use a prime lens instead of your kit zoom lens is a valid one, but not critical - if you use neuroanatomist

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter
    You did not quite understand the difference between those two posts saying about starting with the 40mm focal length (that regards your zoom lens) and employing the 50mm prime lens (which is a different lens).

I thinkHillel was referring to Daniel's statement about the zoom lens, "I don't know which focal length is best, but I would probably try 55mm first," vs. my earlier suggestion of setting the zoom to 40mm. I suggested 40mm based on the fact that zoom lenses show barrel distortion at the wide end and and pincushion distortion at the long end, and for the 18-55mm lens, the distortion plot in the SLRgear review shows the least distortion at ~40mm). Obviously, it's important to minimize distortion when taking a documentary-style picture of a flat object.

Hillel, I see from your profile that you have a new baby - congratulations! It's a wonderful, exciting, magical (and sometime terrifying!) time...enjoy it! I do think you'd benefit from the 50mm prime - besides the paintings, that focal length works well for portraits on a crop body like the 60D, and the wide aperture gives very nice subject isolation.

thanks so much for your good wishes and good advice. My camera just came in today, so I