Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Wizards and 580 EX II

Pocket Wizards and 580 EX II

Early on there was a lot of discussion about interference from the 580 EX II and pocket wizards.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this combination for off camera triggering.

Or Does anyone have first hand experience with other triggers (dont need TTL)

Re: Pocket Wizards and 580 EX II

I have first-hand experience with Cybersyncs, and I love 'em. They aren't fancy, but they just simply work. That said, if I were on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to buy some RF-602 triggering units because I've heard nothing but good things about them. Also, from what I've read, the Radiopopper JrX units are comparable to Cybersyncs in quality and reliability, but also allow for wirelessly changing the power levels on TTL flashes when a "studio" version of the reciever is combined with the Radiopopper cube (an additional accessory).

I bought Cybersyncs because I was tired of the failings of the budget systems that I had tried--and the Radiopopper JrX units had been delayed for months (and months) and the RF-602s hadn't been developed yet. I'm happy with Cybersyncs, but if I were making the decision today, it wouldn't be so easy.

I have been using Radiopopper JrX for a few months. I don

I have been using Radiopopper JrX for a few months. I don

Also not a fan of the Radiopopper JrX transmitter hotshoe connection. It doesn

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I have been using Radiopopper JrX for a few months. I don't use them in
    E-TTL, it requires an add on hotshoe piece (per flash) that I'm not too
    excited about. They are simple to use, work well and have a really good
    range. The build quality is pretty cheesy though. if there is any chance
    of moisture getting near them, don't use them. There is not even a
    thought of weather sealing to them. They even have a phone jack port
    that is wide open to the circuit board and begging for water to enter.

Also not a fan of the Radiopopper JrX transmitter hotshoe connection. It doesn't clamp or fasten in any fashion. You slide it on and it tilts down to sort of "lock" on, but if you bump something it could easily com flying off.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

That's handy info to know. I've never gotten my Cybersyncs near water, so I'm not sure how they'd perform under the same conditions--but I don't think there is much weather sealing to speak of. I have five receivers and two triggers, and all have performed as expected during my usage. I've only had two minor incidences:

1) My 50D fell off my lap when I was crouched and landed squarely on the antenna of the CST sitting in the shoe. The CST split at the seam. I snapped it back together, and it's worked fine ever since (although it is slightly scarred from the ordeal).

2) I dropped a receiver onto pavement from a height of about four feet. It landed on the bottom corner. After picking it up, I realized it wasn't working. I opened up the batter compartment to find a battery contact was smashed so that it was no longer supplying tension to the battery holding it in place (and maintaining a circuit). I used my finger and bent the contact back into place. It, too, has been working ever since.

Whatever system you go with, make sure you have more than you think you'll need. Any system can (and will) fail eventually, and it's always good to have backups (as well as fresh batteries).

I use the 580ex ii on a 1d mkiii with the pocket wizard mini transmitter, 2 tt5

Thanks

I

PS....should have added...the only thing I don

Joel are you saying you dont need the AC5 sock??

check out link

www.pocketwizard.com/.../ac5_install