Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: something you dont see everyday....

Re: something you dont see everyday....

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Sean and Keith: If Carter added peanuts, I wonder what Clinton added (and would it be appropriate for a family forum)

An on board dry cleaner.

Re: something you dont see everyday....

Well, LBJ never went on a AF-1 without a case of Root Beer.

I rember when Boeing was contracted to cleanup wiring diagrams for one of the AF-1 planes, a 707. A auxiliary power unit had been installed by a furniture company with no aircraft experience(government buyer saving money). The plane could not be certified because there were no proper drawings or documentation, so it could certainly not carry the president.

We were sent a copy of the electricians notes scribbled on the aircraft drawings and asked to quote creating a real set of drawings. They were pretty much unreadable, so this meant tracing out the actual circuits and verifying them on the aircraft, which had to be done by the military on a wire by wire basis.

We made a copy of the drawings and provided a quote based on our best guess, but it was apparently too high so they just parked the plane, maybe looking for a bargain bidder!. Then, the furnature company burned down and all the records with it. We had the only set in existense filed away with the quote. It took a year, on the phone every day checking out the modifications wire by wire to figure out what had actually been done. I