Thread: Focus Stacking?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Focus Stacking?

This is a very interesting subject! I had never heard of focus stacking before.

I would be interested on what would happen if you used a very narrow depth of field and focused on two separate obects/points. Could you create a photo with two distinct focus planes and keep the other areas OOF? You would have (for example) one object in the foreground in focus and one object in the background in focus with the area in between OOF. Is this possible? I guess it would depend on how the blending of the two photos was done via software....

Stephen

I

Beautiful photo, Alan. I

Denise - You can download a 30 day trial of CS5 from Adobe. It

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Anyone know if this can be done in Elements? I don't have PS.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Denise, the answer is no, at least for Elements 8. I don't know if the version 9 includes it.

Here is my attempt using Photoshop CS5. It took some trial and error.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1024x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/4721.FocusStack.jpg[/img]

With the camera on a tripod I focused on key aspects of the subject like the words Nerd, Calculus, Canon... ect. Shot with my 40D and EF 50mm f/1.2 at f/1.2 on Aperture priority and manual focus.

I used 6 images for the final image but for the sake of uploading, these are the 3 key focal points.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1024x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/3617.IMG_5F00_2683.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1024x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/7215.IMG_5F00_2688.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1024x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/6472.IMG_5F00_2690.jpg[/img]

Hey! I

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen
    I would be interested on what would happen if you used a very narrow depth of field and focused on two separate obects/points. Could you create a photo with two distinct focus planes and keep the other areas OOF?

I guess you can...it's a software thing. But I'm as interested as you are []

I do think it would look very unnatural and maybe even weird, but who knows...it's sounds very creative!