Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer performance should not cost more than our Cameras!

Re: Computer performance should not cost more than our Cameras!

Daniel & Bob

My apple has an option to set sleep mode to never under System Preferences

Once I set time machine to a second drive, I do not see the backup pop up any more.

As far as running software on Mac, there were more that ran on Mac than I expected. I have MS Office, word and excel on mine now.

Bob knowing what you do since its everybody else's hobby here is that to, I imagine you are wanting to put Adobe on the machine. I probably wouldn't go apple if I had to buy a whole new copy of CS5 to put on it. I wouldn't buy an apple and run windows VM on my mac just so I could still use CS5 for windows either, that would seem like odd logic. That would be my biggest concern.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    My apple has an option to set sleep mode to never under System Preferences

Well, I still want it to sleep, but only when I tell it to, not every time I close the screen. It's great for having it do stuff while the screen is closed (shutting off the screen and protecting the computer).

Once I set time machine to a second drive, I do not see the backup pop up any more.

Time Machine is far too limited for my backup needs, so I don't use it and the popups annoyed me until I disabled them on the commandline. That doesn't take away from the great things I said about Time Machine in the last post, though.

Bob knowing what you do since its everybody else's hobby here is that to, I imagine you are wanting to put Adobe on the machine. I probably wouldn't go apple if I had to buy a whole new copy of CS5 to put on it. I wouldn't buy an apple and run windows VM on my mac just so I could still use CS5 for windows either, that would seem like odd logic. That would be my biggest concern.

I guess I should ask Adobe, but, does anyone know if you are a registered owner of an Adobe product and purchased it for windows, would they allow you to re-download for Mac or purchase a a Mac compatable disk for $10 or $15 ?

Bob

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Trowski
    some sites say what you do, other's say they use TFT LCDs..

TN is one type of TFT display. The highest quality, IPS, is another type of TFT display.

Quote Originally Posted by Trowski
    each has their advantages and disadvantages, but at the end of the day they're both great tools.

Agreed.

@Daniel Browning:

Bah, that's what I meant, IPS LCDs... getting my terms mixed up now, lol. I did find a good source that said Apple's laptops are in fact TN LCDs. I'm actually disappointed to learn this, but it seems many manufactures use this type of screen in their laptops due to power consumption, so it makes sense why Apple would as well.

Sorry, I should have done more research before questioning yours, especially on a topic, as I've pointed out, that I didn't really know much about. I might have to do some research and ensure the monitors on my Mac Pro are actually 24-bit, and if not, consider upgrading since this is where I do all my photo editing.
    - Trowski

I have been working on my computer all night deleting programs & pictures, running CCleaner & removing check marks from start up programs. When all was said and done, it showed I only gained 10 GB back! One program showed it was almost 3 GB so I don't see how this is possible. I started to defragment and got up took a shower came back and it's still defragmenting but my computer shows that I now only have 1 GB available on my c drive!! What the heck happened while I was gone!? [:'(][:'(][:'(]

Denise

When the program is defragmenting the drive, it writes files from other parts of the drive to the free space on the drive, and then writes them back in a more organized fashion. Your computer probably reports that it only has 1GB available since the defragmentation program is still running. Don
    - Trowski

A few thoughts on Mac vs. PC []

The story of my life is similar to the one of Thomas' (I almost shed a tear when I read it []) I bought whole only my first PC years ago and I have been building them since. I have been tempted by Macs, but my next computer will likely be a PC.

There is Apple, there is PC and there is a custom made PC. I think of the latter as of a different breed. They are stable, do not overheat and run for years. They are more modular and upgradeable. Their displays are better. Often they are what pre-built PCs are not.

Sometimes I wonder, what if my first computer was a Mac? Or, what if my first DSLR was a Nikon? I guess, we just have to utilize strong points of our equipment and work around the weak ones...

Something to remember, Mac OS can be installed on many Intel based PC systems so one can have the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

I have been working on my computer all night deleting programs & pictures, running CCleaner & removing check marks from start up programs. When all was said and done, it showed I only gained 10 GB back! One program showed it was almost 3 GB so I don't see how this is possible. I started to defragment and got up took a shower came back and it's still defragmenting but my computer shows that I now only have 1 GB available on my c drive!! What the heck happened while I was gone!? [img]/emoticons/emotion-9.gif[/img][img]/emoticons/emotion-9.gif[/img][img]/emoticons/emotion-9.gif[/img]

Denise

Denise

With so many PC guru's about, I am supprised on one has pointed this out yet. If you only have 1 GB available on your hard drive you are probablyoverloaded. You need to have a certain amount of memory on your hard drivefor your computer to run properly or you will be going slow and getting errors. It sounds like one of the things you need to do is save some of those pictures on an exterior hard drive and delete them off your PC.

Everything works in tandem. You cannot have one without the other, if your HDD is full one will experience slow response times, if one does not have enough RAM, one will experience slow load up times in particular applications. If your processor is not up-to-date, one will experience slow response times between applications. If your processor is cnstantly thrashing at the slightest mouse movement, a system upgrade may be required as well as a cleaning.

I
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams