Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Computer performance should not cost more than our Cameras!

Re: Computer performance should not cost more than our Cameras!

Quote Originally Posted by elmo_2006

As for Denise's issue, as much as I hate to say it, you may need purchase additional RAM, then backup all your data, format your system drive and install Windows 7 x64 - PM me.

Elmo

All those will help her, but from the last post above she said she had deleted programs and now had 10GB of drive. It is very possible that her computer Hard Drive is full and this is the problem she is having now. When I first got the 5D Mark II it didn't take long to fill my laptops hard drive. Mine seemed to start having problems when I got below 20GB available.

Wouldn't you think this might be the immediate issue?

Running multiple programs means loading the program into RAM. However, if the RAM available proves insufficient, Windows initiates Virtual Memory to simulate RAM - in effect, pretending that it has more memory than it actually has.

The downside to a Windows-managed swap or page file is that it becomes fragmented over time, and performance is degraded due to frequent resizing as the computer continues to handle memory-intensive applications.

This could be one of the issues...also, please keep in mind that the registry itself could be *fragmented*. Uninstalling applications does not garantee that the application itself is 100% removed. There are remants left in the registry.

It would be nice to have a system snapshot to see/confirm what we are up against.

LOL - this is what is great about a MAC, typically one does not suffer from these issues - LOL
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

LOL - this is what is great about a MAC, typically one does not suffer from these issues - LOL

I wouldn't say this to loud, you might get thearguments...errrrr ..I mean discussionsstarted again. The MAC vs PC debate seems to have stoped after two days.

LOL, you are right,

MAC or PC why can
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

I used to be a hardcore PC person but switched over to Mac and never looked back. That said, the only good bang for your buck hardware Apple makes IMO are their Macbook Pros. Everything else is subpar or overly expensive for what you get *cough mac pros*. I tend upgrade my MBPs every 2-4 years depending on my needs and the tech available.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

I wouldn't say this to loud, you might get thearguments...errrrr ..I mean discussionsstarted again. The MAC vs PC debate seems to have stoped after two days.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Sigh... I've had some busy days and when I come back I cannot even take part of this great debate [] Plus: What's two days for a debate? Good politicians know to stretch debates for months/years []

Anyway, I have build my own PC and it paid of big time. I never had any problems with W7 other than some old games that didn't work anymore...regression [:S] Funny thing is that a videographer friend of mine has a MacBook for his mobility purposes, but for his video-editing 1080p live-editing he still uses a self-build pc. So yes they can go hand in hand. And Nikon lenses can also be used on Canon camera's with the right parts []

I was interested when I saw the advice for Denise to put more RAM in her PC. I think this advice is kinda funny though. Yes, more RAM will generally be better. But is that also the case for her?

I haven't seen any specifications: motherboard, processor, memory now, harddrives.... Perhaps she doesn't even have room on her motherboard to upgrade her RAM...[A] And I can think of some other things as well...

There are some other things though. The debate of Apple vs. PC has one thing that made me smile. Some of you mentioned that they never had any problems with the Apple's, but did experience hardware problems like broken hard-drives etc on a PC. I think it was John who said heconsumed 6 PC-laptops in 4,5 years??

Is this really a pc problem though or user-error. Say lack of knoledge of PC or wrong software? These days I see the same hardware that you can buy for a pc in a Mac. I see they're also using I3, I5 and I7 processors...are those differently than those for a PC? Does Apple build their own harddrives and other hardware? ... I doubt it.

Therefor I come to this conclusion and another question:

If you get the same hardware, but in a different outfit, why wouldn't you go the cheapest way? Plus: I don't know iif it's possible, but if you could install Mac OS on a home build PC...wouldn't that be the best compromise? Of course while doing this you must admit to the fact that you'll loose the flashy and expensive Apple Logo on your Pc... But you can draw it yourself. I tried and it's really not that hard []

This could be one of the issues...also, please keep in mind that the registry itself could be *fragmented*. Uninstalling applications does not garantee that the application itself is 100% removed. There are remants left in the registry.

Out of curiosity. When you delete a program on your Mac...it is entirely deleted? All the temporary files? The original paths and the system? Indeed this doesn't work that well with some programs in windows.

We have 4 pc's and a laptop at home. And we never have any problems other than little sister and brother downloading corrupted movies from time to time (user-error). Some of us don't even use anti-virus programs [8-|] W7 does a great job I must say [:#]

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Paalman
    If you get the same hardware, but in a different outfit, why wouldn't you go the cheapest way? Plus: I don't know iif it's possible, but if you could install Mac OS on a home build PC...wouldn't that be the best compromise?

If you were debating the windows OS agains the Mac OS you would get an argument for each system

One of the biggest ways Apple has managed their reputation is by building the computer themselves. They control the quality of the machine, unlike a PC where any one that wants to be a box builder can buy the cheapest junk (ahem ...AMD) possible and put in it. A PC with the same components in an Apple would be a fairly decent machine.

? These days I see the same hardware that you can buy for a pc in a Mac.

Yes, but the idea is that Apple will have vetted and tested them better than the rest.

Does Apple build their own harddrives and other hardware?

No, it's all pretty much off the shelf, every once and a while the manufacturer will make an apple-only model exclusively for them, but even then it wont have any features that you can't get somewhere else (with a few very rare time-limited exceptions). Even the assembly of the components is not performed by Apple themselves, but subcontractors, just like everyone else. But I think Applies tries harder to hold their feet to the fire on QA.

If you get the same hardware, but in a different outfit, why wouldn't you go the cheapest way?

Possible reasons include better software, QA, service, etc. Plus, there's no other way to get that smug elitism. [] Of course, Linux users such as myself are even more arrogant. []

Plus: I don't know iif it's possible, but if you could install Mac OS on a home build PC...wouldn't that be the best compromise?

Yes, it's possible: look up Hackintosh. Unfortunately, it's not legal -- even if you buy OS X outright, it infringes Apple's copyright to load it on non-Apple hardware.

Out of curiosity. When you delete a program on your Mac...it is entirely deleted? All the temporary files? The original paths and the system?

It depends on the program. If the application developer follows Apple-recommended development practices, then all you have to do is drag the one program icon into the trash bin and everything goes away automatically. Installation and removal is far superior to Windows in that way, IMHO. Of course, lots of programs don't follow recommended practice.

One of the biggest ways Apple has managed their reputation is by building the computer themselves.

The last time a Mac was built by Apple themselves was when they still called it "Lisa". OK, maybe not that far back, but they moved final assembly to subcontractors in China sometime in the previous century. (And long before that, most of the components were made by other manufacturers in China too.)

Of course, they can still control the quality of the machine, even if it happens to be made by someone else.

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />
    They control the quality of the machine, unlike a PC where any one that wants to be a box builder can buy the cheapest junk (ahem ...AMD) possible and put in it.

Not so. Right now, my $2700 Macbook Pro is part of a class action lawsuit to be reimbursed for burned out graphics cards. Apple tried to save money by buying NVIDIA's reject video cards -- ones that weren't good enough for anyone else, but could be sold cheaper to Apple. They promised Apple that they would last at least three years before they burned out, but the reliability turned out to be so poor that they got another lawsuit. (This is different from the other lawsuit I mentioned about having 6-bit panels and claiming "millions of colors".)

Everyone puts the same stuff in their computers - but I think Apple does work harder to test them and make sure they will work (with exceptions like the above).

cheapest junk (ahem ...AMD)

Nonsense. AMD is just as reliable as Intel, and for the last decade has provided superior cost/performance ratio. Intel is faster, but disproportionately more expensive.

A PC with the same components in an Apple would be a fairly decent machine.

It depends on the individual case. If I had built my own computer instead of buying Apple, then I wouldn't have even had the option to buy NVIDIA's reject chips at half price, and I would have been forced to build something with much higher quality than Apple, that would have lasted more than 2 years before it burned out and died, and I wouldn't get the joy of being in this class action lawsuit (or the other one with the 6-bit displays).

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

The last time a Mac was built by Apple themselves was when they still called it "Lisa". OK, maybe not that far back, but they moved final assembly to subcontractors in China sometime in the previous century. (And long before that, most of the components were made by other manufacturers in China too.)

Of course, they can still control the quality of the machine, even if it happens to be made by someone else.

They control the quality of the machine, unlike a PC where any one that wants to be a box builder can buy the cheapest junk (ahem ...AMD) possible and put in it.

Not so. Right now, my $2700 Macbook Pro is part of a class action lawsuit to be reimbursed for burned out graphics cards. Apple tried to save money by buying NVIDIA's reject video cards -- ones that weren't good enough for anyone else, but could be sold cheaper to Apple. They promised Apple that they would last at least three years before they burned out, but the reliability turned out to be so poor that they got another lawsuit. (This is different from the other lawsuit I mentioned about having 6-bit panels and claiming "millions of colors".)

Everyone puts the same stuff in their computers - but I think Apple does work harder to test them and make sure they will work (with exceptions like the above).

cheapest junk (ahem ...AMD)

Nonsense. AMD is just as reliable as Intel, and for the last decade has provided superior cost/performance ratio. Intel is faster, but disproportionately more expensive.

A PC with the same components in an Apple would be a fairly decent machine.

It depends on the individual case. If I had built my own computer instead of buying Apple, then I wouldn't have even had the option to buy NVIDIA's reject chips at half price, and I would have been forced to build something with much higher quality than Apple, that would have lasted more than 2 years before it burned out and died, and I wouldn't get the joy of being in this class action lawsuit (or the other one with the 6-bit displays).

I think its tit for tat, whether Apple builds it themselves or not. There are alot of large manufactures of other products that do the exact same thing. Point is they do it to control quality.

Iteresting point about the $2700 mac note book. My son bought one a year ago when his HP notebook monitor went out after he had it just 13 months. 1 month after the warranty was up, he gets on line and finds hunderds of other people with the exact same problem. But if your comparing the quality of the components in a mac in general to the store bought "Best Buy Boxes" the are decent machines. And the problem you are talking about is a NIVADIA problem, from my experince with PC gaming I wouldn't hesitate a minute to use a NIVADIA product.

I had a few AMD processors on gaming PC's long ago. The never seemed to perform as well as the Intel's. Write this off to personal prefrence and a good debate somewhere else.

Now...For PC's there is no argument with me. Buy from a Box Builder or Custom Spec one, GO CUSTOM.I did my first Custom Spec computer in 1994, it was awesome. Custom is the way to go no doubt. But there is a problem with the whole debate and the way the debate started about this. Steve U had a problem with his computer that he bought, and the computer Geek salesman sold him what the Computer Geek Salesman thought he needed. Many people really do not know what they would need to spec for a custom. There lies the problem, wheter it be the computer geek salesman at Best Buy, or a Geek at the custom box store how doesanoviceknow what he needs. In that context, what should someone do with little or no expreince, would going with Apple be best or trusting the Computer Geek to set you up with what he thinks you need. With that person having no experince I would recomend Apple. Gamers and computer profesionals know what they want, and when we go to talk to the Computer Geek Salesman were telling them what we are going to buy not asking them what we need (and there in lies the real diffrence). I bought both with my Mac Pro, it does great with CS5, go to boot camp to windows and I have a gaming machine that screams at the games I play.