Thread: Auto ISO---Who Uses It?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Auto ISO---Who Uses It?

hey guys,

I

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Carter
    My only problem though is understanding ISO ratings and which setting to use. Is there a 'hard and fast' rule or sliding scale about ISO settings i.e. low ISO setting for a certain photo/subject etc

Lee,

Though there are exceptions, the general rule is to shoot as low of an ISO setting as possible for the shooting situation. Higher ISO settingsresult in noise and that noise (grainy look) can become more apparant during post processing, especially if sharpening or pushing the exposure. Ultimately, you have to be the judge on what's tolerable to you. For me personally, 1600 is the highest ISO i shoot at comfortably--and thats pushing it. I am not familiar with th 20Ds ISO performance, Maybe someone with experience with that body can give you a better idea on what you should expect.

Bryan's explanation of exposure basics might give you some more info--look here http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/Exposure-Basics.aspx. Look toward the bottom of the article and it will provide a good explanation of ISO.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Bob

Bob,

Many thanks for the info, much appreciated

Lee