Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Canon, but Sigma 85mm 1.4

Re: Not Canon, but Sigma 85mm 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gardner

Really gorgeous images - nothing to criticize. I'm very intrigued about this lens. I LOOOOVE my 85 1.8 Canon, but sometimes wish I had a little more something....but I don't want the 1.2 L. I can't wait to read the comparos....

I know EXACTLY what you mean, Rob! My 85 1.8 is one of my absolute favorites but I am hoping the Sigma will give me a happy medium between it and the 85L I lust for! Expectations are high & I hope it does not disappoint. I am hoping to do comparison shots continuously over the next few days to make sure the Sigma is a keeper but most will probably indoor shots since weather may not be all that good. Hoping for one nice day on the weekend.

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U

I'll try a bit harder with my lens now, you've set the bar.

Post away! I have from now until 11:30 to drool over them until mine arrives at work right in time for me to play with it over lunch time. I better eat a big breakfast since eating lunch will be the last thing I'll want to be doing! UPS driver better be on his game this morning!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by greggf

I liked the feel of it, and the build quality was good(better than the Sigma 50), but could not compete with the Zeiss in that regard!! It was fast, too, but my 70-200 2.8ll is much faster, and has a better keeper rate...which is expected!! It can be really sharp wide open, if you hit your focus point accurately(hard sometimes), and it does get really sharp stopped down. The colors and contrast look great, too!!

The bokeh looks fantastic...judge for yourself...and for the price, I think, it can't be beat(compared to the 85<span style="background-color: #993300;"]L)...I am not a tech guru, but if I needed an 85, the Sigma would be the one. But, after playing with it, and doing the type of photography I do, I prefer my 70-200 2.8ll...more versatile, faster, and does everything great, from a family shot, to a extreme close-up....just my 2 cents!! It didn't seem to handle AI servo as good as my 70-200, either, which nails it 98% of the time, but still did a respectable job....especially wide open.

Thanks, Gregg for the mini critique of the lens and the sampe photos! You are expressing everything I am hoping to get out of this lens! Also, your family is very photogenic and these spontaneous shots are well done, exactly what I needed to see to re-convince me that I did the right thing!

Your little guy is so cute and obviously doesn't mind the camera at all! My grandson is approx. the same age and he thinks he is being funny by always NOT letting me take his photo!

Denise

Thank you everybody for the kind words of my family!! Thankfully, I

I took two comparison shots already! Since I

To Owners of the Sigma - Is your AF noisy?? My Canon 85mm lens is whisper quite but the Sigma is pretty noisy in comparison. Something I'm just not used to and wondering if this is normal for the Sigma lens.

Denise

Hi Denise. I didn

I am wondering if I should just get another copy of the lens or a refund. When I manually move it out of focus all the way to the right (or left), the Canon very quickly &amp; smoothly moves into focus right on. With the Sigma, you can visually see it repeatedly jerking back and forth quickly in the window of the DOF scale on the barrel and that is also what I am hearing. It is a very short back and forth movement but none the less, I've never had a lens do this before.

Suggestions anyone?

Denise

Comparison shots ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18085870@N07/sets/72157625414118792/

Hi Denise,

Sorry to hear about a possible issue with this lens. I know that can be very disappointing. Greggs

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

Hi Denise,

Sorry to hear about a possible issue with this lens. I know that can be very disappointing. Greggs' Pictures with this lens are outstanding. If you feel like you can evaluate the image quality of the lens with manual focus, then you may want to take some photos over the weekend to help you decide if you would like an exchange or a return. This way you don't have to send the lens back twice. I would let the company know that you may have a problem though. Then you could send it back Monday after deciding.

Rich
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks, Rich! I did speak with B&amp;H this morning and I am going to be exchanging the lens for another copy. He even said it shouldn't be doing that unless maybe it was due to IS which lens does not have. So, I'll give it another chance before I go for a complete refund.

Denise