Thread: How to transfer the camera color to CS5 when processing RAW image

Bonefish

How to transfer the camera color to CS5 when processing RAW image

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]I shoot all pictures in RAW and I do post processing more or less on all pictures I want to keep/use. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]However I really like to color that my canon camera creates and find very hard to reproduce the same color in CS5. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]Is there a easy way to sort of &ldquo;copy&rdquo; the color to or regenerate in CS5? <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]Thanks!

Re: How to transfer the camera color to CS5 when processing RAW image

The camera uses picture profiles and other data stored in the RAW file not utilized by other RAW-converters. Try using Canons own program DPP (Digital Photo Professional) for RAW conversion - tweak the exposure there and send the file to CS5 - the file should now have colors just like JPG's from the camera.

I prefer the interface in Adobe Camera Raw, but there are several nifty features in DPP regarding color - for example - if the white balance is really off, ACR won't make the colors the way I want - the color cast is outside the range of the white balance tool - with DPP - no problem.

I prefer using ACR most of the time, but for some shots where color is important, I turn to DPP.

Are you opening the image directly into Photoshop, or into Adobe Camera RAW first? tv.adobe.com/search

DPP is great because it is free and works well for out of the box rendering of RAW files; simple adjustments, and conversions.

Camera Raw is more powerful giving you more control with more capabilities.

Version of camera RAW prior to the latest released with CS4 and then CS5 didn't do such a great job and people often did or still do prefer DPP for that reason. The new version of Camera RAW included with CS5 does a much better job, and IMHO, does a very good job of reproducing the colors out of camera. Better than DPP!

If you have Photoshop CS5 I recommend the following work flow.

Open Adobe Bridge for downloading and organizing your files. From Adobe Bridge open your files into Adobe Camera RAW to make those adjustments you are looking for, and if necessary for more complicated adjustments, editing and manipulation you can send it into Photoshop from there.

Or you can open Photoshop, open the Mini Bride; select the photos you want to work on and send them into Camera RAW and back to Photoshop. You can do all this seamlessly without having to open DDP, Convert your files, close DPP, open Photoshop and then open you converted files.

Either way these programs work together. Adobe Bridge and Photoshop are separate Applications but can be accessed directly from each other. Camera RAW is a plug-in that works from and can be accessed directly from both.

There is no way to get the *exact* same color in ACR as you get from camera JPEGs, because those are generated using Canon's proprietary color matrix and demosaic algorithm. However,you can change the camera calibration profile from "Adobe Standard" to "Camera Standard" (or "Camera Faithful" or whatever Canon picture profile you prefer) and that will help you get a little bit closer. If that color is important to you, I second the advice to use DPP instead of ACR.

One thing that should probably be mentioned here also is the color settings used in Photoshop, and more importantly monitor calibration. Both will have a serious impact on how your pictures appear to you on the screen.

Bonefish

Daniel and everyone else, thanks for your replies. Two followup questions:

1. "There is no way to get the *exact* same color in ACR as you get from camera JPEGs." - If that makes any difference, when I say camera color I meant the RAW image color displayed in DPP, not on the 3' camera screen.

2. "you can change the camera calibration profile from "Adobe Standard" to "Camera Standard" (or "Camera Faithful" or whatever Canon picture profile you prefer)"- how do I do that? Is it one camera or ACR?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish

Daniel and everyone else, thanks for your replies. Two followup questions:

1. "There is no way to get the *exact* same color in ACR as you get from camera JPEGs." - If that makes any difference, when I say camera color I meant the RAW image color displayed in DPP, not on the 3' camera screen.

What are the color setting in Photoshop. Edit / Color Settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish

2. "you can change the camera calibration profile from "Adobe Standard" to "Camera Standard" (or "Camera Faithful" or whatever Canon picture profile you prefer)"- how do I do that? Is it one camera or ACR?

Thanks!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Those settings that can be set in ACR, but are also setting in the camera (Picture Style).

See if these Video Tutorial will help.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-photoshop-cs5/getting-started-gs-what-is-photoshop-cs5

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/new-camera-raw-features-in-cs5

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-photoshop-cs5/gs08-making-a-hohum-raw-image-great-

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/photoshop-with-matt/double-processing-in-camera-raw