Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 85mm f/1.8 vs. Sigma 85mm f/1.4 - Take 2

Re: Canon 85mm f/1.8 vs. Sigma 85mm f/1.4 - Take 2

Looking at these test shots the canon looks like it has better color and contrast to me. The sigma looks a little flatter.

Mark
    Mark

The Sigma has less axial CA.

I have taken a few more shots inside and a few outside with just the Sigma and the Sigma is starting to grow on me. The larger apeture with this focal length will be very beneficial.

Last of the comparison shots. I know, I know ...try to control your excitement! [:P]

Canon on Left, both shot at f/1.8, 1/25, ISO 400, viewed at 50% in DPP

Canon on left @ 1.8, 1/25, ISO 400, Sigma @ 1.4, 1/25, ISO 200 (I know not a far comparison) He upped and walked away before I could take another!

Hi Denise....

It seems that the sigma wins in the golden comparison. It is much sharper wide open and at 1.8 verses the Canon. but it seems to me that the Canon missed focus just a tad, too. Were these hand held? Pretty hard to hold steady an 85mm lens at 1/25th a second...yet the Sigma seems fine in both shots, whereas the Canon does not??!! At least not the suggested focus point...

As far as not deciding about the lens...yes the Canon is going to faster than either the Sigma or the 85L....it is more of an all rounder. The Sigma and 85L are mainly for portraits, and maybe still life. When I tested the Sigma I had rented, using AI Servo on the 1D4(which coupled with my 70-200 2.8ll, is astounding focus wise!!), it, too, was a little slow. Which, in going what I said in last sentence, makes sense! But, at that wide of an aperture, missing shots is to be expected. But it does take wonderful pictures, and I think is worth the price paid...if you use it for its intended purpose!! In that respect, you might be happier with the Canon 1.8.

Just my 2 cents...

Good Luck,

Gregg

Good on you for doing tests to find out which lens fits you better. I'm sure you'll come to the right conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Canon on Left, both shot at f/1.8, 1/25, ISO 400, viewed at 50% in DPP

I looked at this one -- the Canon shot has about 5 pixels of motion blur going from bottom left to upper-right. It could have been a very slight movement of the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by greggf
    the Canon does not??!! At least not the suggested focus point...

I'd agree - assuming Jan's suggestion that you're using the center AF point is correct, your Canon 85/1.8 needs to have it's AMFA redone. Looking at the shot of the bottles, the Canon lens is front-focusing by at least 1/2-3/4" compared to the Sigma. Coupled with the motion blur that Daniel mentions, the last set of comparison shots isn't quite fair. To really compare sharpness of the two lenses, you need to have AFMA dialed in perfectly for both, or just manually focus them!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    your Canon 85/1.8 needs to have it's AMFA redone

Can I throw in a maybe? Or atleast, a yes, but perhaps it won't be effective?

I've heard on this forum that some lens, even fancy expensive wide aperture primes, require different microadjust levels at different subject distances. They'll front focus at certain distances and back focus at others. Microadjust simply can't correct for this. Perhaps your Canon falls into that category, and you set up microadjust just fine, for one specific distance. If that's the case, and if the Sigma works with a fixed adjustment value (and perhaps that value is 0), then it's a no-brainer which is best. You go with the lens that can accurately focus, and has the wider aperture.

On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L