Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to upgrade first? Camera? Lens?

Re: Where to upgrade first? Camera? Lens?

The 10-22 and 24-105 make a great combination, I think you

@ Rich: You have a good point there.

I definitely want to go full frame some day. So EF-S isn

Quote Originally Posted by shel
    I only have a 450D body which sometimes already bothers me when I try to shoot in darker areas,
    without a tripod. The built-in Flash turns every person into a zombie and the ISO range is very limited.
    So I often end up with blurry pictures.

With the comment you made I am not sure the 24-105L lens is the one you would want. The F4 is really better outside, I bought this lens when I just had my 50D and took it back because it just wasn't that good in the house. It had a problem with the inboard flash if you had the lens hood on it would block out some of the light close up inside. I think with a crop camera there are better options.

Keep in mind if you get the 5D Mark II and the 24 x 105 combination, there is no onboard flash. If you have a flash to put on the 5D you would be ok, if not it would be an additional expense.

I wouldn't worry about buying the EF-S lenses. The ones everyone suggested hold the values very well and you could easily resell it or trade up when you decide to go to a 5D in the future.

But I think I read somewhere that Canon might extend their full frame models to EF-S compatibility in the future.

No one knows. But I certainly wouldn't base any lens purchasing decisions on the possibility...

10-22 + 24-105

It's a great combination! But depending on what you shoot, you might also consider the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and the EF 85mm f/1.8 - a great general purpose zoom (the best for a crop body, IMO), and a very sharp and fast prime that I think is one of the best values in the Canon lens lineup (great for portraits, indoor sports, etc.). I find 17mm to be wide enough for most applications (on a crop body). That combo comes in lower than the 10-22mm + 24-105mm, and might leave you enough for a 430EX II. Also, if you're going to buy a 24-105mm, the best bet is to buy it with a 5DII as a kit, where you save substantially on the package.

Don't worry about getting EF-S lenses even if you someday get a FF body (although if you know that day will be next month, it's a different story). I used my 10-22mm for almost a year before I added a 5DII and 16-35mm L to my kit, and sold the 10-22mm for only ~$50 less than I bought it for (buy during a lens rebate like the current one, sell when there's no rebate...).

Good luck!

--John

1. Get the EF 24-105 f/4L IS, then save your money for a fullframe body.

2. Get the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, then save your money for a 7D or its upgrade.

3. Whether you want to stay with crop sensor or move to fullframe, that's up to you, but keep in mind that the difference between a 5D Mark II and a 7D is enough to get you another nice lens.

The photographer has a much larger affect on the image quality than the equipment.

We all like fine tools and the 24-105mmL is certainly excellent, but it is not going to solve a low light problem. if you have identified low light as a issue, get a lens with larger aperture, at least f/2.

This means getting a prime lens or two. Perhaps a 35mm f/2 and a 85mm f/1.8 to start.

forget waiting for the mystical 5d mkiiii and get the trusty 5D MKi!