Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallet full of $100 bills

Re: Wallet full of $100 bills

Just get the 16-35, the 14, and the 35 prime. Then there won't be anything left. []

John, you already have the wide end covered---What you need is "BIG GLASS" go for the 600, Nate, Joel and JJ need some serious competition [:O]
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    Just get the 16-35, the 14, and the 35 prime. Then there won't be anything left.

That was my first thought as well.

If person had oneof every L series lens, then every situation that arrises would be covered.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    If person had oneof every L series lens, then every situation that arrises would be covered.

<span>Let's<span> call that an <span>aspirational<span> goal... []

<span>In<span> the short term,
    though, I'll have enough cash for one more lens to bring on my upcoming China
    trip, on the order of ~$1600. I'm considering the <span>following:
    • <span>EF<span> 35mm f/1.4L -
      indoor, low-light lens; was hoping for a <span>MkII<span> of this <span>lens.

• <span>EF<span> 24mm f/1.4L II - indoor, low-light lens; recent
      comparisons (thanks Rick and Denise) suggest color/contrast are better than the
      35L, weather sealing is a <span>plus.

• <span>EF<span> 24-70mm f/2.8L - rounds out my 'holy trinity' of f/2.8
      zooms (16-35mm II, 70-200mm II), wish it had IS, would I <span>really
      take this and the 24-105mm f/4L <span>IS?

• EF 135mm f/2L - seems like this one is perpetually on my list, but not sure I'd bring it on a trip with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II already in the bag.

• <span>Accessories instead (or in addition, depending on the lens)<span>- 82mm<span>K&auml;semann<span>CPL, 82mm Singh-Ray <span>Mor-Slo<span>
      (5-stop ND), something else?

<span>As always, thoughts/opinions are appreciated!

<span>--John

Sorry John -

I need a recap here. What do you already definitely plan on taking with you from what you already have "in stock" other than the 70-200mm?

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

<span>In<span> the short term, though, I'll have enough cash for one more lens to bring on my upcoming China trip, on the order of ~$1600. I'm considering the <span>following:
    • <span>EF<span> 35mm f/1.4L - indoor, low-light lens; was hoping for a <span>MkII<span> of this <span>lens.

• <span>EF<span> 24mm f/1.4L II - indoor, low-light lens; recent comparisons (thanks Rick and Denise) suggest color/contrast are better than the 35L, weather sealing is a <span>plus.

• <span>EF<span> 24-70mm f/2.8L - rounds out my 'holy trinity' of f/2.8 zooms (16-35mm II, 70-200mm II), wish it had IS, would I <span>really take this and the 24-105mm f/4L <span>IS?

• EF 135mm f/2L - seems like this one is perpetually on my list, but not sure I'd bring it on a trip with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II already in the bag.

• <span>Accessories instead (or in addition, depending on the lens)<span>- 82mm<span>K&auml;semann<span>CPL, 82mm Singh-Ray <span>Mor-Slo<span> (5-stop ND), something else?

<span>As always, thoughts/opinions are appreciated!

John

The 24mm F1.4L at F1.4L doesn't give you that tight DOF that the 35mm gives you. I find the 24mm on the FF 5D Mark II to be more of a group photo lens indoors. While the 35mm can get a little tighter for individual shots. EIther one would serve you well, but if I had your TS-E 24mm I would probably go with the 35mm F1.4L just to have a wider range of diversity.

The 24-70mm F2.8L. You know many people love it. I bought a 24-105mm F4L and took it back after three days and got the 24-70mm instead. Althought, I perfered it over that lens with my Kit I haven't used the 24-70mm in a year now. The only use it is had is when I let the wife take it with her on a trip. My style of shooting I wouldn't use it. If you get either one of the two above, and take your 16-35L and your 70-200mm F2.8L II you have four lenses I would pick up before I concidered using the 24-70mm. I vote no on this one.

EF 135mm F2/L great lens, thought about getting one myself, but like you mentioned. Why bring it if you have the 70-200mm F2.8L II. For today a no vote, yes to just have one.

As for the Accessories I own the Kasemann. But I have no real thoughts on it as it is the only one I have.

I think you are set. The only other thought I would have if I were going to China would be this lens Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 Distagon T* ZE Lens . Looking at some of the sample pictures Brian posted as samples the color and contrast look outstanding. I have never been to China, but some of the pictures I have seen it could be quit colorfull and I would want to pull that out as much as possible. I have been a mouse click away from buying this lens a half dozen times in the last 6 months. But....with your TS-E 24mm you will probably have it well covered.

Good Luck

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    <div id="ctl00_ctl00_content_content_ctl00_fragment_121 6_ctl01_ctl00_PostForm__QuoteText"]

Sorry John -

I need a recap here. What do you already definitely plan on taking with you from what you already have "in stock" other than the 70-200mm?

Denise
    </div>

Denise, didn't you hear. He is taking all his gear and us so we can carry it around for him. [:P]

Oops - that would help!

Was planning on:
    • Gripped 5DII
    • EF 16-35mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]LII
    • EF 24-105mm f/4<span style="color: #ff0000;"]LIS
    • TS-E 24mm f/3.5<span style="color: #ff0000;"]LII
    • EF 70-200mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]LIS II
    • EF 1.4x II Extender
    • Speedlite430EX II
    • PowerShot S95

A pic of the packed Lowepro Flipside 400AW is HERE; the backpack fitsin a Storm im2500 hard case, in case I'm forced to check the gear. Tripod will be packed in regular luggage, strapped to the backpack while walking around.

EDIT: I'm a bit bothered by the fact that there's nothing faster than f/2.8 there, since I'm not planning on taking the 85L.

I get to carry the 5D II, the TS-E 24mm &amp; the 85L!!

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    As for the Accessories I own the Kasemann. But I have no real thoughts on it as it is the only one I have.

I have one in 77mm, just looking at adding one to fit the larger thread diameter of the TS-E 24mm and 16-35mm II lenses. Likewise with the Mor-Slo - I haven't found anything darker than Singh-Ray's 5-stop ND in a round/threaded filter to fit 82mm threads. I'm not a fan of Singh-Ray mostly due to their price, marketing style (too much hype for my taste) and their lack of available technical detail where what little is provided is questionable (e.g. from their FAQ - "Are your filters multi-coated?No. We have carefully evaluated multi-coating of filters, and in our opinion, the benefits are negligible, and outweighed by several disadvantages." - so...are the uncoated or single coated? what disadvantages are they talking about?). But for that application they seem to have the only game in town, short of a square-mount holder and the backordered Lee Big Stopper.