Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens vs. Body

Re: Lens vs. Body

Tough call, then, to be honest. I understand your quandry. I'd still get the lens,even if you have to wait to get a newer 1D Mark II for a while. I am glad to know about the 70-200 f/4 + 1.4x is as sharp as the 70-200 f/2.8 at the same equivalent aperture. I have been lusting after a 70-200 f/2.8, but everything I've read leads me to think that if I'm not shooting AT f/2.8, I'm better off with the f/4.

What is "chimping"? Sorry for the newb question, but after all, that is what I am! A newb, that is. []

How dare you call the original masterpiece that goes by the name of 1D "old"?? It's still a great camera, only eclipsed by its bigger brethren. I'm still not convinced that the 100-400 is the way to go - maybe I had a bad copy, but I got nothing better than "good" out of that lens. If you can shoot indoor basketball with a flash (I'm not allowed) I would TOTALLY do exactly what you are doing with the 70-200 f/4 for several reasons:

1. It's physically faster in the AF department (I attribute this to a lower total mass of glass to move and rotate vs. the f/2.8) - I always got more keepers from games with the f/4.

2. It's clearly sharper, w/ or w/o the converter - you will get sharper results more consistently. A friend that shoots for ESPN and covers NFL confirms this. He always goes for the f/4 over the f/2.8.

3. You already own it!

That will leave you change to upgrade to the 1D Mk II - it really is worth it! It's everything you loved about the 1D with all the fixes (more MP, MUCH less noise at ISO 400 and up).

Ask yourself this question: Do you need better results than what the f/4 and 1.4TC already gives you? - if not, then you already have the lens you need.

Chimping is when you look at the great image you've taken on your big 3" screenand make noises like a chimpanze or Tim Taylor. This is immediately followed by missing the best action of a game cause you were'nt paying attention.

Many apologies, the 1D "Classic". I actually want the 100-400 for Football, Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Soccer and Surfing. I use the 70-200 2.8 on my 40D with available light for basketball and in that regard as well as available light night time football and soccer it's great.

What body i have;

1D MKII ; Lens used =135 L F2 (for indoor & Outdoorsports) EF300 F4 IS L (for outdoor for football i.e. soccer) night or day,MotoGp and JGTC. EF 50 F1.4 USM and EF 20 F2.8 USM

1Ds MKIII Lens used=EF17-40 F4 L

SupraSonic -

Great choices! A really balanced lens/body setup for your needs! So what's your call - the 1D Mk II or the 100-400 lens?

1d MK II with EF100-400 F5.6 is good combi good for outdoor but indoorit's lacking but if there is enough light it is a good weapon too.Nowadays a rarely used this because of i have the ultimate combiwith 1D MkII = EF300F4 IS L.

Thankz Rob, what do you have?[]

Quote Originally Posted by RonG

Chimping is when you look at the great image you've taken on your big 3" screenand make noises like a chimpanze or Tim Taylor. This is immediately followed by missing the best action of a game cause you were'nt paying attention.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Precisely! LOL I just wish my LCD showed the exposure accurately...