Thread: Post Your Best HDR Photo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Post Your Best HDR Photo

Thanks, everyone. The first was my favorite at first but I like the 2nd a lot more now as well.

Alex, I didn't tag the post correctly - each one was processed in Photomatix off of three bracketed exposures, + and - 2 stops. I did then proceed to play with the generated photo in Photoshop (and Lightroom) to get them a little less aggressively HDR in look.

Great photos, and I love the fact that there is snow in the last one. Great contrast cold and hot.

Maloner, understood. I've been using Photomatix and I agree that it makes the images look too processed. I guess fiddling around in Photoshop would rectify some of the damage caused.

Sometimes what I'll do is blend it as normal in Photomatix, then take the middle exposure and paste it on top as a separate layer, then use whatever blending options make the most sense for that particular photo (it varies a lot). That way you can keep your dynamic range but also restore a more natural look to the photo. I try to get as much of that done in Photomatix itself, but I find that the preview window it shows is not really close enough to the real output to trust it completely.

Here are a couple I did yesterday and the day before that. This is Cologne, Germany.