Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! with 16-35 2.8L II............

HELP!! with 16-35 2.8L II............

Hi guys,

my friend dropped his camera during a wedding... a 40D with grip 580exii and the 16-35.....

I

Re: HELP!! with 16-35 2.8L II............

Yes...if you send it to Canon

My 70-200 lens fell out of my backpack when the zipper gave way where the focusing system got knocked out of adjustment/alignment and it cost 300 bucks at Canon to repair and I'm a CPS member. Trashed my filter but saved the front of the lens from cosmetic damage. Pretty much the only solution is to send it to Canon.

This is kind of a known issue. The 16-35 is not designed very well as far as ruggedness goes. Click the link below and scroll down a little. I'm guessing the lens may look like that. Flickr also has a page about it. I've seen reports of it costing anywhere from $175 to $400 to repair.

photography-on-the.net/.../showthread.php

http://www.flickr.com/

I just ordered a 16-35 five minutes ago from Amazon, and of course, I never heard about this problem until now. It almost feels like as soon as I ordered it, the Universe retroactively altered itself (adding this issue to the lens) just to spite me.

Anyhow- in the same position I would just have Canon fix it and pay whatever it costs. Bummer, though.

Jon

Its been a known issue for some time that if you drop, throw, hit with a hammer or otherwise abuse the lens it will break. This problem is more likely to happen if you lend it to a friend or let your kids play with it.

I have never had an issue with the 16-35, its a great lens and I bet you will think so to.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Its been a known issue for some time that if you drop, throw, hit with a hammer or otherwise abuse the lens it will break. This problem is more likely to happen if you lend it to a friend or let your kids play with it.

I have never had an issue with the 16-35, its a great lens and I bet you will think so to.

Thanks for the soothing words, Rick. I'm not too worried about it, actually- but it was like "click on amazon, now have a quick look at TDP forum...." and there was this thread about the things falling apart

I guess I'll just have to hold on to this one and keep it away from my little kids and from hammers. []

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Thanks for the soothing words, Rick. I'm not too worried about it, actually- but it was like "click on amazon, now have a quick look at TDP forum...." and there was this thread about the things falling apart

I guess I'll just have to hold on to this one and keep it away from my little kids and from hammers

Jon

A simillar thing happened when I ordered my 500mm. It was the last day of 2009 and I ordered it from B&H. While I was waiting on it to arrive, over the holiday weekend I thought I would go on Canon's website and look at the tech information. When I went to the website,all of the Telephoto Lenses had been removed from the active lens list. I thought sure I had just ordered a model that was getting replaced, and that is what all the rumors on the web were saying. Turns out it was just a web site glitch on Canons part.

Then...I ordered a 1D Mark IV this week...I go to Bryan's review to look it over again after I ordered, and I notice how he had updated it several times about having issues with the focus in AI mode occasionaly not working right. Why didn't I see this before.

I do know where you are coming from, post purchase jitters I guess. But...usualy when the things show up all those worries go away.

Rick

hi guys thanks for the input.... my friend did send it to canon and it will cost him something like $400..... whats worst is that a week after greaking his 16-35 his 24-70 2.8L was the next to fall. YUP you heard it right he dropped it also.... guess he was having some REALLY BAD LUCK!!!! or is it carelessness???

Quote Originally Posted by jks_photo

hi guys thanks for the input.... my friend did send it to canon and it will cost him something like $400..... whats worst is that a week after greaking his 16-35 his 24-70 2.8L was the next to fall. YUP you heard it right he dropped it also.... guess he was having some REALLY BAD LUCK!!!! or is it carelessness???

It's somthing to keep in mind if your buddy is wanting to borrow your equipment while his is in for repair.