Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Experience w/ Canon Factory Service Center

Re: My Experience w/ Canon Factory Service Center

Well, I got my gear back from Canon today!

As I was told by members here, there were papers attached to the gear that explained what was done.

The main problem I had was with my brand new 135L as many of you recall. First copy, +14 microadjustment, 2nd copy couldn't focus for nothing. It came back today with a +7 and this explanation ..."Your product has been examined and it was found that an adjustment of the lens assembly was incorrect. electrical adjustments were carried out on the lens assembly and product functions were confirmed. Inspection and cleaning were carried out as well." Does this mean that all they did was a microadjustment??

I just got home from work and need to get dinner out of the way but after a number of spontaneous hand-held shots, I am far from impressed with the 135L still! I took a number of shots of objects on the table and a few headshots of my daughter and none of my daughter were in focus and it was hit and miss on the stationary objects!

Now the 35L ...I sent this in just to see if my microadjustment was the same as what they find. Overall, I have been pleased with my findings but who knows, maybe they would make an improvement. It left at a +1 and came back at +1 and this explanation ..."Your product has been examined and it was found that an adjustment of the lens assembly was incorrect. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the lens assembly and product functions were confirmed. inspection and cleaning were carried out as well."

I AM SENSING A TREND HERE! Obviously, it doesn't mean a microadjustment because it came back the same as it left.

The 7D - I sent this in mainly to get it adjusted with the lenses and to make sure IT wasn't the problem. It came back with this explanation ..."Your product has been examined and it was found that the adjustment of the AF assembly was incorrect. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the AF assembly and product functions were confirmed. Other electrical adjustments, inspection and cleaning and parts replacements were carried out". This sounds similar to what they said about the lenses but more geared toward a camera! Is it just me or do these explanations sound standardized to you???? What parts were replaced?

Now I suppose I need to double-check both these lenses and all the others I have and re-micro-adjust! As of right now, I think the 135L is going back for a refund!

Sorry, for the long explanation of results but their you have it ...my first experience with Canon Service Center.

Discussion and comments on these results very, very much appreciated! Did anyone else here get the same "form letter" results?

Denise

Denise

You should have them set at 0 now not plus anything.

Thats the idea of sending it in.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Denise

You should have them set at 0 now not plus anything.

Thats the idea of sending it in.

Rick
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

SERIOUSLY!? What the heck!? ERRRR ...I am NOT happy! I haven't figured out yet if I am sad or mad!

This only goes right with the day I had ...which I am about to start in another thread!

Denise

Denise

Why don

When sending in a lens or body to get adjusted, it helps to send them both at the same time. I sent my 70-200 2.8 and 1D in togeather for a regular Clean and Check, with a note the the AI Servo was running slow. Ended up getting a new af chip in the lens free of charge and a minor tweak in the 1D.

Yes, the explanation on my 50mm was brief. No detail.

I was thinking of sending my 5D and lens in since it does not have micro adjustment and id a hair off.

I would call the service center and voice my frustration.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    set your camera to AF Microadjustment Disable. See how it works.

Agreed. Hopefully what happened is that they electronically adjusted the lenses (I've read that to adjust them, they change soldering points inside, not sure how true that is), but didn't reset your AFMA values on the camera.

Let us know how it goes!

Denise,

Your experience from Canon, mirror

Denise,

One more thing. I bought the Lens Align Pro system, and after multiple attempts, under even the best lighting situations, I am no closer to a resolution, than I was 100 hours, and several hundred dollars ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MacManUS

One more thing. I bought the Lens Align Pro system, and after multiple attempts, under even the best lighting situations, I am no closer to a resolution, than I was 100 hours, and several hundred dollars ago.

OMG, Do I feel your pain ...right in the middle of my forehead right now!!

The tests I just finished doing right now were by no means Lens Align Pro perfect but ...if I really wanted a sharp photo of those keysI just put inin the middle of my table ...I should be able to get a sharpphoto of those keys with a $1,000 lens and a $1000+ camera and a $500 tripod &amp; ballhead!

First off, yes Canon still had the camera set on micro-adjust by lens, so I put it on disable and things have improved! But, one of every 3 or 4 shots with the 135Lare sharp. So, is this normal to get one sharp shot out of every3?

I will post photos of my funky subject set-up if you promise not to laugh. I just didn't have time to find the paper I have to focus on and line it up perfectly and then take the shots. so I improvised.