Thread: Camera storage, Hiking and Safari

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Camera storage, Hiking and Safari

I have an F-stop Loka and am super impressed with it, I would have no hesitation recommending F-stop packs. It

Thanks for the pointers, a couple of manufacturers I haven't seen before to check out. I think figuring out some padding for my existing bags might be best, but my rucksachttp://www.ospreypacks.com/detail.php?productID=159&colorCode=736&tab =description is top loading only, which means I wont be able to access anything in there during the day. But I have my Think Tank holster and can put a lens in an external padded case as well, which should give me enough options while walking.

Although the new hiking/camera bags are getting better, unless I can try it on I wont buy a bag as I have a tall frame. My Osprey means 15kg just disappears once the bag is on. I can then pack the same padded gear in my roller bag for carry on. If I can find a stockest in the UK of any of these bags I might give them a try.

Andy, I'm looking forward to kilimanjaro lots. Hopefully wont be as much snow around in the dry season just many more people I was going to take my gorrilla pod on summit day as I'd like to try and shoot a timelapse at the top of people having thier pictures takenand sunrise if I make it up before dawn. Also I'm weary of leaving expensive kit unattended in my tent while summiting. I'm wondering if I should leave my 100-400 in the hotel, or carry it with mefor security (including summit day).

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalmin

Thanks for the pointers, a couple of manufacturers I haven't seen before to check out. I think figuring out some padding for my existing bags might be best, but my rucksachttp://www.ospreypacks.com/detail.php?productID=159&colorCode=736&tab =description is top loading only, which means I wont be able to access anything in there during the day.....

....Also I'm weary of leaving expensive kit unattended in my tent while summiting. I'm wondering if I should leave my 100-400 in the hotel, or carry it with mefor security (including summit day).....

Here is an example of a bag that can be accessed from the top, the middle, or the bottom and they have many sizes to choose from. This is definitely not getting on an airplane as a carry-on.

http://www.highpeakusa.com/everest-60-10/

Your osprey pack looks very capable as well. You just may need a carry-on bag for the plane and a pack for the adventure.

I just used a Kata R-104 pack for a carry-on, 2 weeks ago when I went Skiing in Keystone, Colorado.

It's recently discontinued, however Adorama still has it and I'm sure other sites still have it in stock. I'm showing you the Kata R-104 pictures/link at B&H, because they are better, just click on "more images"

The 2 side bags are both removable which can be used to pack equipment into other bags and the belt is removable as well, and the pack attaches to my Kata waist-pack and Torso Sling. If you use all 3 at the same time, it looks a little ridiculous but it works. I have never used all 3 at once, as I look ridiculous enough!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/611022-REG/Kata_KT_R_104_R_104_GDC_Rucksack.html

I think it's a good price too for $150 US at Adorama. It's selling for $275 at Naturescapes.net and over $200 at amazon. It also holds a pro-body and a laptop. The Kata R-103 is also selling for $150 and doesn't hold a pro body or a laptop and it doesn't have removable side pockets or a waist-belt. I actually took the waist-belt and side pockets off of the pack for the airport and I packed them in my suitcase. The waist-belt offers good stability but it doesn't transfer all of the weight to your hips but it helps, for that you have to step up to the 205 or 207 version, but they are not carry-on compatible for the airlines. The R-104 Series is not an adventure pack, however it's good for traveling and day hikes, as well as working out of a vehicle. It's very well padded and you can literally throw it around.

I'm sure it's difficult to buy anything without trying it on. If you e-mail or call some of the manufacturers they may be able to help you with sizing and fitting, many of the better bags are very adjustable. If they have a good return policy then you would probably just have to pay for return shipping. I know it's a pain but at least it's an option. I think the f-stop looks like they offer the best options and features. I use Kata-bagswhich are great for camera equipment (the series that I have is very well padded with excellent internal and external protection), but they don't seem to offer much for other gear and hydration.

If you want padding for your gear in your existing pack then I would look into the removable padded inserts that I put in the links above. Just make sure you will be able to access it form above or from the side, depending on which way your pack will provide access and unzipper.. Some of the companies also make chest harnesses to attach to the front of your shoulder harness on your pack, so that you may access your active camera quickly and clik elite makes lens pouches as well, as do many other companies like, lowepro, and kata-bags. I have ThinkTank lens pouches which have a little less padding, and since they provide easy belt-access, they don't completely close on top. They have a draw string.

If you don't think that you will need a certain lens then I would leave it behind in the Hotel-safe or with the Hotel Manager and get a receipt and signature that they had accepted it.

However, I think the 100-400mm would be a good lens to bring with you.

Sounds like a great a trip, I'm very jealous!

Rich

Edit: I couldn't think of the name before, but Domke makes protective wraps.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Protective-Cases-Wraps/ci/4385/N/4291080164