Thread: SanDisk Extreme III - fast enough?

SanDisk Extreme III - fast enough?

I'm thinking about purchasing 2-3 of their 8GB cards (they areofferinga rebate through March 28th). Currently I have a 20D, but will be upgrading to a 1DsMkII this year, and also using that body for an upcoming equine photography workshop. I shoot RAW, generally not in bursts, but likely will be shooting a lot of action at the workshop.

Thoughts on if this card will be appropriate? Or should I look into the Extreme IV? Thanks!

Re: SanDisk Extreme III - fast enough?

Check out Rob Galbraith's Compact Flash performance database for the 1Ds2.
    • Extreme III 4GB is 7.181 MB/s
    • Extreme IV 4GB is 7.821 MB/s.

That's less than 10% difference. I don't think it's worth it.

The reason they are so close is because the 1Ds2 is not fast enough to take full advantage of the cards.

The 5D Mark II, on the other hand:
    • Extreme IV 4GB is 29.5 MB/s
    • Extreme III 4GB is 15.4 MB/s

So that's a camera where the difference really shows.

For myself, I think the fast cards are worth the extra expense just for reduced computer transfer times.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]Jessica,<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]8GB will not be enough memory. I use 2 16GB CFand 1 8GBSD cardswith full RAW and after a 3 week vacation they are all full. <o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]As far as speed is concerned, anything faster than 7MB/s will not improve performance, but it has never been an issue with my 1Ds3.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-theme-font: minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]Bob

Thanks Daniel and Bob for the quick replies! The Extreme III is definitely going to work better for my budget.

Thank you for the warning Bob. I think I will be okay with 3 8GB cards, my 4GB and 2GB. At the workshop I'll be downloading the files at the of every day, and if I fill up all those cards in one day of shooting I'll be very surprised.