Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 7D AF spot problem

Re: 7D AF spot problem

hi Richard. I will send more info tomorow.

Problem is in body not in photographer. I have nikon d300 and d200. I also had canon 5d. Spot af have to set focus in point. For example when i make photo girl with bottle in hand, bottle is sharp becouse it is close.

To guys with hammers: if yoy are so smart can you look at our samples and explain what we do wrong

Neuro

I have to echo what fast says. As a professional in the connstruction industry I can tell you, Estwing is the preferred hammer among pros.

32 years ago starting out craftsman had a good hammer, but they fell behind.

Makes me wonder, what brand of cameras are most used by pro photogs at NFL and MLB games

I'm also in construction and really do use an Estwing hammer.

If Canon had such bad AF then why would anyone,Pro or not use them? If it's not defective and calibrated properly then it's the photographer.

John.

Hirosz

Rich asked for more info, no where in the thread yet have I seen enough info to tell what the problem is or is not. There are those in the forum that would try hard to help, if they have all the info

ok. I will send more pictures tomorow. It is hard to describe this issue. Af set focus like in 19points mode even if i have spot af.

Quote Originally Posted by hirosz
    To guys with hammers: if yoy are so smart can you look at our samples and explain what we do wrong

To be honest, my hammer doesn't even have a brand name on it. Just a wooden handle and a metal head. Somehow, it still manages to drive nails just fine (I was kidding about the bent nails. [:P]

hirosz: more details are needed, particularly descriptions. I can infer that you are showing a cropped shot (e.g. the 3rd link) and then an image showing where you're selected AF point was for the shot. Are you aware that the little box in the viewfinder is actually substantially smaller than the actual AF point on the AF sensor? Looking at your fourth link, the actual AF sensor's horizontal f/5.6-sensitive line will overlap with the cup to the left of the red AF indicator, and also with the box to the right of the AF. Perhaps you know what you were trying to focus on, but the camera does not - it's just using the maximum phase difference it can lock onto at your selected AF point.

Hirosz is right.

Photographer

Tabzan

You never said if you actuly checked the AF and tried to do an adjustment

You said it had no micro adjustment

When adjusting my lenses I found that the 7d would occasionally loose a shot. Maybe 1 in 20 never 1 in 4

What you describe makes me think it is just slightly off.

Keep in mind the AF system does not hit exactly the same way each time. It may hit a little behid or in front but in real world situations you won

Quote Originally Posted by Tabazan
    Hirosz is right.

I don't think we can conclude that yet. Hirosz has posted some pictures with no explanation, no EXIF data (what lens? what aperture?), we don't know if AF microadjust has been done, etc.

I shot also a single flower arrangement, I was close to the AF proxi limit of the 135, and the point is made 3 flowers aside the target flower.

Of course, with a close subject the DoF is thin, especially if you were shooting at f/2. This situation will reveal any focus issues, and is why your 7D offers an AF microadjustment feature (which it sounds like you haven't tried, but maybe you have?).

Canon never did things wrong ? Never ? I won't criticise Canon on this forum.

Criticize away. Canon has made mistakes in the past. They will in the future. But it's good to be sure of your facts, first.

I know that hammer thing, and on all forums there are always such arguments by people who "never had problems", or so it seems.

I've had problems. When I used a T1i/500D, I bought an EF 100mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L Macro IS lens. Even though I shot the bulk of my macro images with manual focus, I used the lens for other types of shooting and noticed a distinct front-focusing issue with the lens. However, since the T1i lacks the AF microadjustment feature, my only option would have been to send the lens and body into Canon for calibration. That issue was one of the main reasons for my upgrade to a 7D, and going forward, especially with my current collection of fast lenses, I will not buy a body without AF microadjustment. For what it's worth, my EF 135mm f/2L needs a +5 adjustment on my 7D - that would lead to consistently out-of-focus shots had I not done the adjustment.

But MY camera has a problem. And not me.

That's certainly possible. There are defective Canon cameras, just like any manufacturing process can produce a defective product. That's why a warranty is useful. I'd say it's unusual that if there is a defect, after two trips to Canon Service, no problem was found. Unusual, but not impossible. Of course, user error is also a possibility. I appreciate - and respect - that you make a living from your photography. But just because a race car driver makes his living from driving, it doesn't mean that he knows exactly how every part of his racecar works. Understanding how your equipment functions, especially its limitations, is important. Looking back, we've already seen some evidence of user error:
    <div>

But ... maybe I make a mistake in using the spot AF for action/sport pictures ..
    </div>