Page 17 of 101 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Macro shots

Re: Post your best Macro shots

Went for a walk in the woods near home today, and noticed the shadows on the petals of this flower.

5D Mark II, EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM @f/9, 1/40s, ISO 200
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-12-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Nice, Andy.

Maybe the flower is flatter (or bigger) than it looks, but that seems like a lot of DOF for f/9. The whole thing is sharp.

Nice flower, Andy!!

Ok, so today probably wasn't the best day for me to go out and take some macro shots considering how windy it was but I couldn't fight the temptation any longer!! My garden is starting to bloom!! But also being out there made me realize how much yard work I have ahead of me for the next month!

My first bloomed daffodil of the season ...

And what I am most excited about ...

I have absolutely no trees in my yard. So, last fall I went and planted a baby Japanese Cherry Tree right in the middle of my backyard ...this bud is from that tree! Living where I do, this tree is extremely uncommon and I am surprised it survived the harsh winter we just went thru!I can't wait to see all the beautiful blossoms it produces!!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    that seems like a lot of DOF for f/9. The whole thing is sharp.
    I think there are three factors that helped to make it look sharp.
    1. There was no motion of the camera or subject during the exposure. There was no wind and I used a tripod with a 2 second delay on the shutter release.
    2. I set up the shot so that the edge of the petal in the 9 o'clock position was in the same plane as the centre of the flower. I cropped the other petals that were out of focus.
    3. The image has been downsized for viewing here, which increases the perceived depth of field.
    The shooting distance was 530mm, so the calculated DOF is only 3mm. The flower wasn't as flat as that.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-12-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stringer
    The image has been downsized for viewing here, which increases the perceived depth of field.

No question about that. But I also think you positioned the focal plane quite nicely (#2)

This isn't the best but thought it was interesting. Mosquito tried to drink some soap water I was using to make bubbles with the kids the night before.

Hi Denise, I really love the 3rd shot. The composition and creamy background are spot on!

Hi Jason, What

There's is Sean's Aunt Edna! I wonder how she can afford to travel so much.[]

Cheers,

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

Hi Jason, What's intersting about the mosquito shot are those 4 tiny blue bugs on the wing (left side)!

Rich

Rich, I agree on the 4 tiny little bugs...I wasn't sure what they were. There were a couple of other dead mosquitoes in the water and they had bugs around them also. I thought maybe they were babies or something like that. This was the only mosquito that had it's wings extended so it got my attention. I wish I had the MP-E 65mm lens since the macro with tubes just couldn't get close enough.

Denise, I really like your comp of the daffodil, but I think it would have been a great picture if the top wasn't chopped off. I have a horrible time making sure things aren't cut off on most of my stuff so I sympathize.

Jayson

A flower at the Myriad Gardens in OKC just before the remodel began

5D II, 180mm L Macro, Tripod, 1/160, ISO 2000, F11 using ambient light. This picture is a combination of three, focus stacked.

[View:http://community.the-digital-picture...neric/utility/]