Page 166 of 558 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 5572

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade
    I do not use HTP but I use the alert function (blinkies on the LCD) and I take test shots to check the histogram for proper exposure without blowing out the whites or clipping the shadows.

Joel

Adjusting for the blacks and whites and using HTP really aren't similar. Or are they?

Also: The "Jay" you posted a few pages back I thought was really good.

Rick

Rick,

I don't really know the answer to your question, I just never have seen the need to use HTP ... I can usually get proper exposure without it , I could see using it maybe for shooting primarily white objects or very brightly lit scenes but for birds I haven't needed it. So I have no experience or detailed knowledge about HTP, I was just saying I don't use it. It may work perfectly well.

Thanks for the kind words on the BlueJay

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

Rich....the "floating" goose is a Canada goose. Though the 2 are similar looking; note the white marking. The Brant's is located on it's neck while the Canada is located on it's cheek and the Brant is smaller.

To add to the confusion I have heard of hybrids; Canada/Brant, but I don't believe I have ever seen one.

Thanks Bill, duly noted. I thought they looked different, thanks for clarifying.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

. Maybe, I should stop trying to fix my images? [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Rich,

No way ..... "Great photographs are made not taken" (Ansel Adams I believe)

PHotoshop is a tool that you should consider using to make the most of your images but probably a good idea to disclose what you've done if it's anything more than adjusting brightness, color saturation or contrast (ie basic stuff)

Joel

I absolutely agree Joel, as long as I can improve them and not ruin them. I love what you do with layers and the fact that your images still look natural and not overly done. My goal would be to learn layers, and your images certainly represent the final look that I would like to strive for.

Nice Tern capture by the way!

Rich

Rick,

I will certainly read more about the highlight tone purity. I remember when I first looked into it, there were some instances where you would want to turn it off. I do think it

Male Downy Woodpecker

1DMKIII 300mm 2.8L 1.4 TCII 580EXII + Better Beamer -21/3 stops 1/500 f/5.6 ISO 1000

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2781.343V9309.jpg[/img]

Haven't shot in a while do to the high winds the last couple of weeks, but dealt with the breeze this afternoon and shot some backyard birds:

All shot with the 7D, 500L+1.4 EX

House Finch

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2376.IMG_5F00_3851.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5037.IMG_5F00_3857.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/4478.IMG_5F00_3671.jpg[/img]

Mourning Dove in----Sorry for the chopped tail, but was to close to get the whole bird----

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2350.IMG_5F00_3607.jpg[/img]

Bob

those are very good shots, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    Sorry for the chopped tail, but was to close to get the whole bird----

Do you know if you shoot your 500mm with a tripod, you can easily change you camera direction from landscape to portrait or any other angle by loosen your tripod ring, try that, Bob.

edit, assume you use a wimbely head.

Bob,

very nice shots .... especially the dove ... great light, exposure and sharpness ... kudos

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

Do you know if you shoot your 500mm with a tripod, you can easily change you camera direction from landscape to portrait or any other angle by loosen your tripod ring, try that, Bob.

Yes, I knew that and often use it---I even had some of the dove in landscape, but I really liked the lighting on this shot even though the comp was lacking---it was also a full frame shot, so no room to crop and adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

edit, assume you use a wimbely head.

Yep, But I am using the Wimberly Sidekick and love it. I went with the Sidekick instead of the full Wimberly head because I only have one tripod and didn't want to bother with switching heads. I was a little concerned that I might regret the decision, but not after using the sidekick. It is so easy to mount and dismount from the RRS ballhead and provides great support for the 500/7D combo. It is very stable, smooth as silk under friction and tracking birds or other animals is a breeze. it also stores very easily. I am really pleased withthe decision to go with this head.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob

Thanks Joel
    Bob