Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What photographers will do for the "shot"

Re: What photographers will do for the "shot"

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

PS: Bob this kind of reminds me of the thread a while back where we talked about calling in a mountain lion. I would be game for tryingto call one inwith you if you ever want to go, but I need to know how fast you can run. I know I can't out run the mountain lion, but if I were faster than you I would feel safe going.

Wow, This is getting pretty insulting-I am offended, but I guess that is what you intended---mission accomplished HD. Sorry, If offended anyones morality or photographic ethics by suggesting that someone might actually kill apolar bear if it was climbing on to your boat. Frankly, I thought that a tap on the nose was rather mild way of dealing with the polar bear regardless of the reason the bear was there in the first palce. Regarding mountain lions: Would I bait them, Yes. Would I call them in, Yes---all just for decent photo--yes. Is it unethical to do so---maybe, but far less than doing so just to hang a hide on my back fence. I wish I had these animals just strolling through my back yard, but I don't, so i have to travel long distances, sit for hours in a blind, just to end up dissapointed by the end of the day. No one questions bird feeders in thier back yard to "bait" the birds in for a decent shot, no one would question a "salt block" to bait adeer why are you questioning me about "baiting or calling" a mountain lion in for a once in a lifetime shot. Is it dangerous? a little, but no more dangerous than getting on a 200 mph motorcycle or photographing NASCAR head-on or even merging into traffic on metropolitan freeway. My plans are not to hurt the animal, just photograph it. So please don't judge me or my practices. I use my back yard to practice my craft and to learn my equipment but it is not the limits of my photographic will. I would actually like to get a few photos of animals in the wild, not my backyard, not the zoo, not my studio, not even the local wild animal park, but a real animal in the "real" wild. If I have to throw a little food on the ground or use a decoy to get them in my view finder, so be it.

Bob

Bob

It was not my intention to insult. If I did I apologize. I have three deer feeders at my place now, one converted to a bird feeder. This wasn't my thought at all. I think I may have been miss understood.

In one of the pictures on the video they were hand feeding the bear. Granted they had guns at hand, I think I saw one with it holstered. What I was referring to was the danger of calling a mountain lion in, nothing more. Would I try to call one if possible, you bet in a heart beat. The refrence to out running faster than someone is just an old joke I have heard over for years. Your in the woods with your friends and they start talking about what if we encounter a bear what do we do? Well the answer is we run if you can outrun your buddy....

Again sorry if I offended. It wasn't the ethics of baiting I was talking about, but the dangers of putting yourself that close to a bear.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

Dr. Stirling gave good advice.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Agreed. These idiots just signed the bears death sentence. Now he equates people with food and because he was slapped he learned he will have to be aggressive to get the food. Someone will get hurt or killed by this bear and the humans will then seek revenge by killing him just because these idiots wanted some photos and a close look.

Andy, love the bear rolling shot.

Mark
    Mark

Wow, this thread has engendered a lot of conversation. I try never to put myself in harms way, but I did once and I will never do it again.

I learnt my lesson.

It was early one morning and I just happened to have my camera out and walked past the bathroom while my beloved was getting ready. I didn
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

This thread has had me thinking of the "Darwin Award" emails that get sent around (I haven't seen one in awhile). If anyone is not familiar, basically an email thread detailing the dumbest ways people got themselves killed. I think a general rule that should be applied to photography is don't do something that could qualify you for a Darwin Award just to "get the shot."

I think getting yourself killed whenfeeding a polar bear by hand could qualify as a Darwin Award.....and Steve, my friend, taking a picture of your beloved in the bathroom getting ready would put you right at the very top of the list.[:P]

Glad you survived to tell the tale.

Heh heh, thanks Brant it was a close one.

Live and learn.
    Steve U

Wow Steve, you are a man that likes to live on the edge of danger!

I almost (and still might) put myself in harms way. For the current contest, I wanted to go take some shots of a house that recently burned and is all charred and boarded up. Only problem is it

Danger is my middle name, Denise. Well it
    Steve U

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Bob

It was not my intention to insult. If I did I apologize

HD, sorry I miss understood, Thanks for clarifying.

Bob

P.S., I can run pretty fast "scared", better have your tennis shoes on
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams

P.S., I can run pretty fast "scared", better have your tennis shoes on

Bob

I figure there is no way you would leave that new 500mm at home. I fugure you carrying it should take at least one step out of your stride.

If it doesn't slow you down, just be sure and get the shots when the kitty catches me.