Page 176 of 558 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226276 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 5572

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Great pics Bill. I especially like the two of the GBH.

A yellow warbler I ran across yesterday afternoon:

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/5716064907/in/photostream/lightbox/][/url]
    EOS 7D, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L IS USM @ 400mm, 1/640 s, f/5.6, ISO 125

I really like that one, John. With "only" 400mm, you must have managed to get pretty close.

Excellent John....not only close, but quick. They don

Thanks, Jon and Bill! It was quite close - the shot is cropped, but only to the extent necessary to convert from landscape to portrait (you're right, Bill - it was gone before I could rotate the camera).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W
    They don't sit still for too long.

Unlike the warbler on the previous page, it seems that owlets sit in the same place for hours. Here's a great horned owlet I ran across today (there's a shy sibling tucked down to the left). Unlike your adventure, Bill, to find these 'kids' I didn't have to wade or canoe through a swamp...just take a relaxing stroll along a nice, pleasant path through a local cemetery...

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_brain/5717621258/in/photostream/lightbox/][/url]
    EOS 7D, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L IS USM @ 400mm, 1/500 s, f/5.6, ISO 400

John....nice capture of the owlet(s). Leisurely walk...you know John, I have a few words for you, but this is a family site. []

With the wx warming, I'm now lathered up in insect repellent to ward off blackflies (a.k.a. NH state bird), gnats, mosquitoes, and the *%#@ ticks.

By any chance is it the Mt. Auburn cemetery? I've been meaning to get down there, but I'm too lazy to drive +/- hour when I drive only +/- 15 minutes for the 2 GHO sites....but I understand it's a great birding site.

The "kids" will become more animated as they mature.....keep on going back for in just a short time they'll become branchers (roaming and stretching their muscles)....lots of action shots. Also keep an eye out for the adults....they're not too far away and very protective.

Thanks, Bill! Correct - Mt. Auburn Cemetery. It was my first time visiting there, it's a beautiful location. I'd also heard it was great for birding, but yesterday...not especially. Besides the GHO, all I ran across (other than the very abundant common grackles andred-winged blackbirds) were a couple of grey catbirds and an oriole. There is a stone tower there with an open platform on top that has me wanting to take a wide pano shot of the view of Boston. I know it's supposed to be a haven for warblers, but I saw none (the shot of the yellow warbler was from Plum Island the day before). I took my opportunities to get outside the past couple of days, since the forecast is for rain starting Sunday and lasting through the week. []

I'll definitely be stopping by Mt. Auburn again, though - it's just a short detour for me on my usual route home from work. If you do decide to make the trip down, let me know - it would be great to meet up in person!

--John

John.....you should have given me a holler you were going to PI....it

I have really enjoyed the Owls that you guys have been posting, really interesting to see and nice photographic work. Here's a backyard favorite from this morning

1D3

420mm

manual mode

iso 1600

1/320

f/4.0

580EXII +better beamer -1 1/3 stops

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2158.343V1686.jpg[/img]