Page 46 of 398 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best current shots

Re: Post your best current shots

Denise....really like #2 and #3....nice captures....

The weatherman on Sunday literally said "rain and clouds until further notice..." There was a break in the showers yesterday and I shot these:

All 7D with the 100 mm L Macro.

1/60th, f/2.8, ISO 400

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/3681.Waterdrops-IMG_5F00_9132.JPG[/img]

1/100, f/2.8, ISO 400

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/8272.Waterdrops-IMG_5F00_9156.JPG[/img]

1/100, f/2.8, ISO 400

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/8546.Blossom-IMG_5F00_9137.JPG[/img]

1/40, f/5.6, ISO 800

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/3603.Waterdrops-IMG_5F00_9304.JPG[/img]

Thanks for viewing...Brant

Thanks, Brant!

Nice macro shots! You make me want to get my macro lens out but it

Denise, Nice shots. Here are some things I learned about shooting hummers that might make it easier for you:

1. Shoot manual everything---Start out at 100 ISO, 120-250 Shutter speed at f16-22---even in daylight, this should give you a dark enough shot so only the bird is lit with flash.

2. Remember, motion is stopped with fast flash duration, not high shutter speed. 1/16 flash power should give you a tack sharp bird with just a little wing blur---most that have commented on my shots find this more pleasing than a "frozen bird"

3. Set your camera up on a tripod with a remote shutter release---manually focus (live view x 10) on a spot just in front of your feeder. ( I actually stick a small glasses screwdriver in my feeder and focus on that---I have even had the birds try and take it out while I am trying to focus)

4. Next, park your lawn chair within reach of your shutter cable, grab a glass of ice tea and wait---when the birds approach shoot away. after a few shots, make adjustments then try again---Remember: flash power is paramount, 1/16th seems to be the key for me---so if your shot is too dark move the flash closer or add another flash---also aperture at or above f/11, but preferably at f/16 or higher---you need as much depth of field as you can possibly get.

My 100-400 worked well last year, but I am going to try my 100L macro this year, you should also give your 135 a shot----Even though I am only two weeks into the season, the birds are very tolerant of my presence and the equipment presence around the feeder---sometimes they even land on the flash or the camera lens--

Anyway, hope this helps---I can
    Bob

One evening last week I brought my camera down to the sea just to see if there was anything waiting to be captured. After a while I spotted a couple of birds (I'm no good at bird species but my guess is Arctic Tern) that acted kind of interesting: One of them was just sitting on a rock and seemed to keep begging for food - the other one went fishing and returned with dinner. This kept repeating for a while and of course I tried to get some shots, the first is one of them. Unfortunately I only had my 24-105 and couldn't get any closer, so this weekend I decided to go back with my 70-200 to see if they were still there - and they were. The only difference was that the lazy one had chosen another rock but the procedure was the same. The other ones are from this session. (I've never really been interested in birdlife but my photography hobby has made me learn more and more - they are fascinating creatures. I definitely see the risk of getting stuck in ornithology and heavy lenses - I'd better keep away from birds for a while.)

Dinner delivery

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/0474.IMG_5F00_0871_5F00_LR_5F00_S.JPG[/img]

One more incoming

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7384.IMG_5F00_1078_5F00_ED_5F00_S.JPG[/img]

Are you happy?

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/3581.IMG_5F00_1082_5F00_ED_5F00_S.JPG[/img]

Moooore!

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/8053.IMG_5F00_1101_5F00_ED_5F00_S.JPG[/img]

And after all that fish, finally some rest.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7587.IMG_5F00_1117_5F00_ED_5F00_S2.JPG[/img]

No. 1: Rebel T1i with 24-105 f/4 L IS USM @105 mm, f/6.3, 1/400, ISO100

No. 2-5: Rebel T1i with 70-200 f/4 L IS USM @200 mm, f/5.6, 1/1250, ISO200

Thanks for viewing!

CLS, These are great behavior shots of these sea birds---Well done. For some reason I always miss great stuff like this. Portraits are wonderful, but behavior shots are the really great stuff when it comes to wildlife---IMHO. Very nice work.

Bob
    Bob

CLS - I agree with Bob 100%! Very nice natural shots of nature!

Here are a few shots I took today. Not anywhere near as good as Bob's photo's of hummingbirds but I am still in the beginning stages of photographing these small and fast birds! Hopefully this weekend the sun will shine and I will be able to use Bob's advice on capturing them and Joel's advice on post-processing and have a few better ones to show but for now ...

This guy is a tad shy & doesn't like to be photographed while he eats ...

Bob & Denise - thanks for your kind comments.

I

Great job Denise! They look really good. I like the catch-light in the eyes for #1 and #2. Looking forward to more.

Damian

Denise, nice work-----I love the way the sunlight lights up the the feathers/colors on these birds----Please figure out how to do that with flash and let me know---I can never seem to grab all of the colors these birds have.........When it comes to grabbing the iridescent colors---the technique eludes me. everything I have read says its just a matter of luck---but there has to be an angle you can take to increase your odds of lighting up these birds---If you discover it-----please...please...please... let me know, I am obsessed and losing sleep [|-)].

Bob
    Bob

Hi Everyone -

I've been away for a bit, as I had the good fortune of joining a ship-based tour of the Scottish Hebrides at the last minute. As you can well imagine, it is quite a photogenic place. I posted my favourite 34 shots on my website, www.huyerperspectives.com. This particular shot is from Flannen Island.

Canon 5D2, 24-70 mm f/2.8 lens, 1/320 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 400

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/0285.IMG_5F00_6506.JPG[/img]

Thanks for viewing,

Jon Huyer
    Calgary