Thread: Outdoor Portrait

Outdoor Portrait

Was hanging out with a friend the other day, decided to do an impromptu photoshoot since I had my gear with me. (always) This is my second attempt at portrait work where I was actually paying close attention to composition and technique so I'm looking for a critique on this one. I'm really proud of this one so I'm hoping you guys will knock me down a few notches so I can learn something. Any feedback at all is greatly appreciated.. and I'd really like to hear what I did wrong as opposed to what I did well.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/900x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/6366.IMG_5F00_7599.jpg[/img]

<span>Camera: Canon EOS 7D
    Lens: Canon EF 100mm 2.8L IS USM Macro

ISO: 100
    f-stop: f/2.8
    Exposure: 1/800 sec.
    Focal Length: 100mm

Handheld

She was holding my silver reflector on her lap, reflecting light to the right side of her face.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Re: Outdoor Portrait

Great use of depth-of-field (with a very nice background), and a magnificent use of your reflector. There's only one negative thing I can say about the image--and that's the placement of her eyes within the frame. I didn't even notice at first, because you posted the shot so large that I automatically scrolled down so that her eyes were farther up in the frame (limited by my screen size). However, I downloaded the shot and opened it up resized to fit my screen, and then I saw it quite plainly. Personally, I'd rather have the eyes closer to the rule of thirds even if it means cropping the top of someone's head. Others might disagree. In that case, I think a slightly wider angle shot (allowing for headroom while still positioning the eyes farther up in the frame) would have been ideal.

Then again, it's not a guideline I always follow. So maybe I'm just full of it... :-)

How about an 8x10 crop, maybe?

Sean,

Thanks! I completely agree. I was too worried about keeping her head in the original crop that I didn't even consider that.. and looking at some of the other shots from that day I realize that others have the same issue. I could do well with wider angle shots and paying closer attention to the "guideline" of thirds (safe title, right?) when photographing these. Thanks for making me aware of that.. It "feels" like a better photo this way.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Just finished editing another from that day. Don't use the fantastic plastic much and I really liked this one so I thought I'd share.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/900x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/8321.IMG_5F00_7692.jpg[/img]

<span>Camera: Canon EOS 7D
    Lens: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

ISO: 100
    f-stop: f/1.8
    Exposure: 1/1000 sec.
    Focal Length: 50mm

<span>1/1000 sec. and it was overcast! Makes me realize that I'm really going to need a ND filter when I get my 85mm 1.2 L.

First off, great shots Rocco! Way over my level of expertize. Very nicely done [Y]

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    Personally, I'd rather have the eyes closer
    to the rule of thirds even if it means cropping the top of someone's
    head. Others might disagree.

I agree and also disagree. I don't really like the new crop. However I'm with you on the placement of the eyes. It's not really exiting. But cutting of half of her head doesn't work for me.

The thing that bothers me a lot more in the first photo than the placement of the eyes is the color of the shirt. I would guess it's due to post processing that the blouse has some "staining". It bothers me the most where her hair is on her blouse. Left of her hair the blouse has a whole other color than on the other side.

Other than that I cannot think of anything really. I must admit though that I never would have guessed that it was an outdoor portrait [A]

About the second photo... I like it a lot! I'm not sure why, but it reminds me of some videogames I played when I was young. She has some sort of Kung Fu look haha[] If I would walk in the streets at night and she would be standing in front of me looking like that, I'd [:'(] hehe [] Maybe adding some sort of dragon-tattoo's in post processing would make it even better...

Sorry, but I just think it's awesome and I guess I'm not really capable of giving good critique at this point [A]

Great shots,

Jan