Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing flash reflection in animals eyes

Re: Removing flash reflection in animals eyes

Congratulations on your photos being on display =)

I don

I know that many of these shots don

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    <span>Any suggestions?

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />

My only suggestion is to avoid the problem in the first place. The reason you have the problem is that you are using the flash as a key light. Not only does it cause "white eye" (like red eye, but in some animals), but it's also very flat, very hard, and probably the wrong color balance. Personally, I would much rather bump up the ISO a stop (or four stops, if necessary) to avoid using on-camera flash as the key light.Then, flash can go back to being utilized for generating the catchlight only.If you're close enough, another way to avoid white eye is to put the flash on a long bracket above the camera. I'd rather shoot at ISO 25,600 than use on-camera flash as a key light.

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJ
    <span>I don't know about you other guys but I dislike catchlights It makes a picture look more synthetic and artificial than it needs to be IMHO

I agree that using on-camera flash as a key light makes pictures look synthetic and artificial. Unless of course you normally walk around with a 2000 watt lamp attached to your forehead -- then I guess photos with flash look natural. [] However, Ithink you might be mistaken about what "catchlight" means, because I would be very surprised that anyone finds them unnatural (quite the opposite). Be aware that the problem in this thread has *nothing* to do with catchlights. This problem is like "red eye", but animals have a different color.

Catchlights occur naturally every time you go outside, since the sun reflects in people's eyes. That's why photos without catchlights look unnatural -- we are used to seeing a small sparkle in their eyes. Even indoors, most people have hard lighting, so again catchlights. The only way that catchlights would be "unnatural" is if you spent most of your time in places that always have soft, even lighting. Such places are extremely rare in my experience, and tend only to exist in photographer studios. (And if that's where you spend most of your time, then that makes sense!)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    My only suggestion is to avoid the problem in the first place.
    I totally agree but @ 4:30, 5:00 a.m. in the deep woods, I had no idea how much I would have to push the ISO &amp; I figured fixing alittle "white eye" would be easier than alot of noise. With it being a long hike and my not being such a young grandma anymore, carrying the camera bag w/ a couple lenses &amp; the 7d w/ a 100-400mm w/ a flash was all I could handle (and usually a tripod or monopod, but not this time). Believe it or not, I can feel the added weight around my neck when I add my bracket.

I'm going out again soon and the flash will stay home this time.

Thanks again, Sean for sending me the edited photo ...you did a great job!

Denise