Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samyang(Rokinon) 35 1.4....WOW

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Samyang(Rokinon) 35 1.4....WOW

here are a few more shots taken this morning of Mason...just playing around. This lens is sharper, if..you get the focus right, than my 50 1.2 is wide open. check out these samples...

all shot wide open

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/5327.35-comparo_2D00_7.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/8877.35-comparo_2D00_9.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/2742.35-comparo_2D00_12.jpg[/img]

and a crop of above...

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/2480.eyelash-crop.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/7750.wall-candles.jpg[/img]

and a crop...look at the dust!!

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/0842.wall-candles.crop.jpg[/img]

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';"]Ok, ok... you're just showing-off now [] Making me jealous!<o></o>

This really is a fantastic lens!! Just have to get past the no AF....I will have to try it against the Zeiss 35 f2....Trying to figure which 35 to get. I

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';"]
    Quote Originally Posted by greggf
    Now I'm going to have my 14-24G, a 35(?), my 50L, and my 70-200 2.8ll.
    <o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';"]That sounds like a very nice lens line-up. Having a look at your profile slideshow it appears that you enjoy wide angle, landscapes, architecture, and also still life. I really like the BW shot of the little girl - the lighting is superb. Mason on his bike has real impact also. Great lenses for your type of photography!<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';"]I like the option that Samyang provides, namely that high IQ is attainable on a budget if you are willing to invest solely in glass and construction while forsaking zoom and auto-focus. For some these are unbearable sacrifices but for others this may be a good option. The way I look at it, photographers haven't always had the luxury of auto-focus, soI'm willing toadopt some of the old techniques relating to manual focus if it gets me behind great quality glass at a price I can afford.<o></o>

Quote Originally Posted by greggf

<span class="field-item-description"]...look at the dust!!

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/0842.wall-candles.crop.jpg[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Don't let your wife know we saw that[]

Mark
    Mark

I would like to pull the trigger and purchase this lens

but I have a few questions first

interested because of the 'sharpness'

will it work on a crop camera?

It is manual focus I understand

but is it manual aperture? (ie turn a ring on the barrell),

if so what mode do you use it in : Aperture priority mode, Manual mode.

Are the settings recorded for post production?

Do you own any other Rokinon (Samyang) lenses ( ie 14mm)

Why do you think the canon version is 2200+ (all for the focus mechanism)?

I have considered the 85mm 1.4 for a long time, but have landed on the canon 85mm 1.8 instead (will be purchased in a few days). Mostly since I don't have live view on my D400. This lens would be almost solely used for portraits, but with the thin DOF, I depend on a split screen (like the old SLRs), or a live-view with zoom to be able to focus properly. I am sorry for this, because I really like Samyang's aim to make good glass, and forget about USM and IS. After all, the glass is the most important part of a lens (in my opinion).

Lars

I <span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]own the 8mm and there are no electronics on this lens.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I understand this to be true for all the Samyan lenses.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] What that means is that there is no data communicated and no camera driven aperture setting. You shoot AV or Man. There is a focus ring and an Aperture ring.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] If for example the Aperture is set to 3.6 the camera records 0.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] If you have the lens stopped down then focusing will be a challenge in low light conditions because the camera can't automatically open the aperture while you focus.<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]</o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]This would certainly account for much of the reduced price when compared to a similar, but fully automatic, Canon.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] The auto focus and Aperture control are pretty complex parts of the lens (Strip these out and you've instantly saved a lot on manufacturing and R&amp;D). The Canon badge also has a price attached.<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]</o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]My understanding (from reviews) is that all these lenses are both Full Frame and Crop compatible (but the fisheye needs to be modified by trimming down the hood - not something I'd do personally). But make sure of this before you buy one.<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]I've heard people complain that it is hard to accurately focus manually with a modern SLR because the focus screen is not as bright and has no manual focus aids.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Split prism screens are available and easy to install. The best quality screens seem to be Katzeye and cost around $100-150 from memory.<o></o>

@iND...

here is a link to photozone.de that did a review of this lens on crop sensor camera, where it also shone quite well.

www.photozone.de/.../655-samyang35f14eosapsc

The lens is completely manual, just like the "olden" days!! It has an aperture ring and a focus ring, as William stated above. You either shoot im M or AV mode, and the camera meters ttl....stopping down will focusing is difficult because the viewfinder gets darker. but I bought this lens to use mainly at 1.4-2.8 or so, although it does have very, very nice corners, too!! Unfortunately, aperture is not recorded , but shutter speed is....I think there are ways to get the metadata to work....just haven't figured it out yet!!! It is a pretty fantastic piece of glass, and I will continue to give some feedback as I play more with it!!

Cheers,

Gregg

That looks like a fun lens Gregg. The samples you provide look pretty good. I