Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Undecided . . .

Re: Undecided . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Larry
    Now my question is . . . is it really a dust magnet lens compare to 24-70mm /24-105mm ? I don't want to encounter this kind of problem, thanks.

Ahhh the Internet. Fountain of Truth. []

The 24-70mm f/2.8L and 24-105mm f/4L IS are weather- and dust-resistant lenses, so they have internal seals around the zoom and focus rings which non-sealed lenses lack. However, the 17-55mm is no more prone to dust than any other zoom lens (and probably less than some, since the extension is shorter than something like a 70-300mm). Personally, I've never had a dust issue with mine. I will say that I always keep a UV filter (B+W MRC) on that and all my lenses - it's required to complete the weather sealing of 'sealed' L lenses, and I find it easier to clean a filter than the front element. On the 17-55mm, there are two small holes right near the filter threads, and I suppose that may be a source of dust entering and lodging behind the front element - so, a filter on the front may help in that case.

Even so, a little bit of dust (or a lot, for that matter) is not going to make a speck (pun intended) of difference for the images - light passing through the lens is defocused, meaning you won't ever see a spot from even large specks of dust. Lensrentals.com has a nice writeup on the effect of a front element 'scratch,' and internal dust will have much less impact (sorry, another pun) than that.

Bottom line, don't worry about it, it's a wonderful lens.

What he said. []

I have two visible specks of dust behind the front element on my copy. Not an issue at all. Makes absolutely no difference.

The specks of dust are just that too.. think about it.. the tiniest thing ever. I know they're there because I clean the lens. Other than that, they may as well be invisible.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Larry,

What John (neuro) and Rocco said.

I have had my 17-55 since 1/2009 and it has been a workhorse. It splits time with my 70-200 f/2.8 IS Version I on my 50D, getting @ 2/3 of the time. I have never had any dust issues which affected image quality. If you read through some of Bryan's reviews, you will see some of the <span style="color: #ff0000;"]L's come with a genuine Canon dust speck or two from the factory.

Since I got my 1D IV late last year, my 17-55 gets less use, but that is only because the 50D gets less use. However, the only way I would willingly part with my 17-55 is if I no longer had an APS-C sensor body. (That may never happen, thus far I have not been able to part with my 70-200 f/2.8 IS Version I.) And then, like Jeff, I may wrap it and keep it for a little while just in case I got another APS-C body. Currently, my 50D and 17-55 are in a happy monogamous relationship.

Final thought for what it is worth, I have a 24-70<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L and a 24-105<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L as well, but the 17-55 is my favorite on my 50D.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco

What he said. [img]../../../../../emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

I have two visible specks of dust behind the front element on my copy. Not an issue at all. Makes absolutely no difference.

I
    just received my latest ebay-addiction shipment, Pentacon Six Mount
    Zeiss lenses, flektogon 50/4, Biometar 80/2.8, Sonnar 180/2.8.

My
    heart sank a bit when i saw that all 3 had fungus inside, the Flektogon
    had a bit of a scratch on the rear element, Biometar had the worst
    fungus internally near the centre (but only noticable held to the
    light), and the Sonnar around the edges of the front element. But i knew
    it was a crapshoot when i got it, estate sale from a
    non-camera-knowledgeable person, and i got the whole lot shipped for
    less than i've seen the Sonnar by itself.

But having taken a few pics already, all i can say is 'wow'. Sonnar wide open is as good as my 70-300L @ 180mm.

Even
    with all the fungus, and bits of dust in there, there is no impact on
    the image quality whatsoever. From a logical point of view, there must
    be 'some' degradation with dust in a lens. But it is so minimal that
    with current sensor technology i doubt anyone could see the difference.

For anyone wanting the 17-55, just put a UV filter on and forget about it...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]For me it has depended on the lens.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<o><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]My oldest (2006), most used, most abused and most traveled lens in my EF-S 17-85.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] There is a lot of dust now in this lens, including a large hair inside plus a small scratch at the edge. I don&rsquo;t use UV filters, although I did buy one at the same time as the lens. Had too many problems with ghosting in night shots and Lens Flare during the day (Yes, if I were a better photographer I could have managed these problems, but I&rsquo;m not).<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<o><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]My other lenses is/was EF-S 10-22 &amp; EF 70-300 (non-L), while neither of these lenses got anywhere as much use, the dust is/was nonexistent.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]What I think is happening is that when I take the camera out of the bag (Lowepro Nova 2 AW) the lens extends sucking in any dust that collects inside the bag.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Hope this helps.<o></o>
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

It

Pre-nup photo shoot[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x550/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/1738.IMG_5F00_5144.JPG[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x550/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/1018.IMG_5F00_5315.JPG[/img]

Japanese Garden @ San Antonio, Tx.

I forgot the camera setting.