Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Computer

New Computer

My next photographic upgrade is probablya newcomputer. I have been using a HP from 2004 with a 2.2 GHz AMD Athlonprocesser, 512 MBmemory, 200 GB hard driveand windows XP.My photos are stored on a 1 TB external hard drive. Working inDPP can be very slow andconverting RAW to jpeg is slow enoughthat I typically get it going overnight or during the day when I am off to work.I try to get as much out of something as I can, but the computer is acting slow enough it is starting to drive even my wife a little nutty. I have heard that I could "rebuild" the software, and that may improve it's performance. But I am thinking it is probably past time for an upgrade. Anyone have thoughts on how to upgrade my current computer or if it is even worth upgrading? If I get a new computer, given that photography and the internet are the most intensive uses (no gaming) any recommendations on the specs I should be looking for?

As always, thanks in advance.

Brant

Re: New Computer

First, if that one external hard drive contains your *only* copy of the images, then you must run, don

my first rule of computing (after the triple hdd backup, of course), is that i never buy brand-name pre-built. But then i
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Daniel and DrCroubie....thanks...just what I was looking for [Y]

[] I do have two back upsor three copies. I back everything up onto an external hard drive that I keep offsite, and then I back the jpegs onto the computer hard drive. I used to burn DVDs with photos for backups, but now that I am shooting in RAW, I'd need a DVD everytime I took the camera out of the bag.

I would go with a new computer too.., anything over 5-6 years old is just not worth upgrading.

Brant....I was in the same boat couple of years ago w/pretty close to the same type of computer use.

I agree w/Daniel & Dr Croubie. I built a new one to my photography specs (after lots of research). But what I did a little differently was to put 2 hard drives in the box; C drive is a 150 gig 10k spin rate and an E drive w/750 gig and, if I remember correctly, a 5800 spin rate.

The C drive 10k allows Photoshop to be very quick (as well as other functions) and the memory allows 6 months worth of pic folders. I keep a years worth of pix on the E drive and back both drives up w/500 gig, 1TB and 2TB EHDs. BTW, my filing system doesn

Brant,

What kind of a budget are you working with? I second the notion that buying an OEM machine just isn
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, they have definitely been very helpful. [] I think we are targeting the $500 to $1000range.While it does look like I can get a PC that meets the above specs and had Office/etc for that range, I am curious about building it.So I'll try to take a look at newegg.

Thanks again.

Brant

I have had a little time to research and watch videos. On Tuesday night I had found a HP tower at Best Buy for $480. It has an AMD Athlon II 3.1 Ghz Quad-Core, 1 TB 7200 rpm hard drive, 6 GB of memory, and Windows 7 x64. No SSD that I am aware of, but overall it seems like a big step up from what I have now.

But I am curious about building my own and I

Well, I can
    Bob