Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchase Debate - 1 decision down (Photos added)

Re: Purchase Debate

Ever think about a monopod for the macro stuff? Way more flexible and easy to maneuver. If you ever did lean towards gitzo,I
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I have a monopod but when I use that and it comes to zeroing in on a tight macro shot, I have a problem with not making the slightest swaying movement after I

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I have a problem with not making the slightest swaying movement after I've obtained focus & hit the trigger.

What AF mode are you using? If you're not in AI Servo, give it a try. Especially with your 100L Macro lens - the 7D has a special Macro AI Servo mode that's activated automatically when you mount a Canon macro lens. <span>It increases the sampling rate for the servo AF to better correct for rapid but small changes in focus (as opposed to the normal function of servo mode where a subject is being tracked through the scene).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U
    I recently grabbed a Vangard 284CT

The first tripod I bought was a Vanguard. Paid several hundred dollars for it. I have to give it a -1. After about a year and a half the little mechanism switch that locks the leg at various angles broke on one of the legs. Not sure how to fix it. I still carry the vangaurd in my truck under the seat in case I need a tripod when I am out. Everything else about the tripod has worked fine, the little plastic lock seems to be the weak link.

Denise: for what you are wanting the tripod for, insects and flowers I would recommend against the vanguard. I wore that little lock out onmine out doing this type of work in a short time. What would be ideal is if you could find one with legs that lock like the Gitzo's, where you can put them in various positions and at all angles.

I found this one on B&amp;H made by Benbo. It isn't a Gitzo but for the price it might be worth some thought. I read a few articles on it and from what I can tell many people find it adequate for this application.

[View:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247268-REG/Benbo_BEN101_1_Tripod.html]

I just linked one version, they had several. I am not sure this would be the best of what they have to offer but it might be worth doing some research.

I am still researching the info provided on flexpods/lateral tripods. Plus I just received a newsletter from B&amp;H showing a few Oben lateral tripods that I

In case you don

Thanks for the suggestion, John. I am still going thru some photos I took today with my new Sigma but so far ...I think I

Well, today was a pretty windy day for macro shots but I wasn't about to wait until Monday to try out my new Sigma 70mm outside since it's suppose to rain all weekend, so here are a few photos I managed to get from it so far ...wind or no wind! All were hand-held.

The Sigma appears to be doing a very good job and you caught some very nice shots.

I have to ask this out of curiosity. Why did you want the Sigma when you already have the 100mm F2.8L IS? It is a little shorter length, buy what are you trying to gain that the 100mm L wouldn't do?

Rick

Wow super sharp and look at those colours, nice pick up Denise.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur