Thread: Maybe a Rokinson 14mm lens purchase in the future

Maybe a Rokinson 14mm lens purchase in the future

Thinking of trying out the Rokinson 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC lens for my future architectural work. From what I've read this and it other lenses are a great deal and come close to Canon L quality. I've already got the PT Lens software for the big corrections that this lens is going to need where they list a profile of the Samyang 14mm lens. This manual focus and f-stop lens should work out nicely as I use my live view 100 percent of the time and use it to focus when I do this type of work. The lens will stay manually set to infinity or close to it and f/11. I rarely use auto focus these days unless I'm tracking something that's moving so the manual setting and no focus confirmation are zero bother to me.

One thing that I caught last night that I found interesting today is that Amazon had this lens for 289.00 where B&H had it at 379.00. I looked at it again today and they are both 379.00 now. I should have pulled the trigger last night on the 289.00 but I'm just not in the position to spend the extra money right now at this time since having to by a flash.

Should make a nice super wide lens unless I get one of the bad copies that gets manufactured on the occasion. Anyone else have this lens?

<span style="font-size: small;"]Update: saw where this 289.00 lens was out of stock on Amazon but saw a link to it and placed the order anyways where it will ship when it comes in unless I cancel the order before then. Man, I'm on a shopping spree when I have so little money coming in but it feels so good. Hopefully I'm not forced to live under a bridge.

Re: Maybe a Rokinson 14mm lens purchase in the future

I bought this lens about a month ago after reading the review at photozone. I think I payed closer to $379 than $289, but I don

I read the photozone review and they rated this lens really high. I'm expecting wonderful things. As long as the lens distortion software can work out the bugs then things will be golden. I'm excited to test it out against the less then stellar Canon 16-35mm II. Maybe putting the 16-35 up for sale and looking at the Canon 24mm L f/1.4 lens or 35mm 1.4 or even the 24-70mm IS if they come out with that option.

I do use a polarizer filter indoors from time to time to cut glare on furniture so I guess I won't be doing that anymore with this new lens. I just made the connection that the Canon EF 14mm II lens you can't use a filter on it either because it has an attached hood as well. Even the almighty Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G lens does not except a filter. They all have a large bubble front lens element so its not as big as a let down as I first thought about it after you mentioned the fact.

True, they all have bubbles. I didn

I don't mean to insinuate that the 16-35 is bad as it is a great lens for a zoom where it has been my main lens for the last 3 years. I'm just thinking that the few more mm will be huge for me as I always need just smidge more in the corners on the tops of my images from interiors shots after perspective correction. I really don't need to be spending even this amount of additional money but how can one pass up a nice speciality lens for 289.00. If they are as good as people are reporting and more people start buying this lens (minus no electronics and DOF scale being off) then the prices could go up so I just want to get in on it early. The main feature that I am interested in is the corner to corner sharpness where the 16-35mm starts to stumble. With the vignetting and distortion correction being an easy fix with low dollar software these days then this lens becomes an even better lens with a few extra key strokes. The Nikon and the Canon counterpart are also reported to have heavy vignetting at 14mm so that just adds to the value of the Rokinson since they all have it.

The pictures taken by the 5D2 and the Roki on the photozone site look amazingly sharp with very clear detail even at the 100 percent crop. I don't think my $1500 16-35 lens' images looks that good. They can start to get a little fuzzy. It will be interesting to see these results in person. I hope the old adage "if its to good to be true then it probably is" does not pertain to this product.

I
    Mark - Flickr

M_Six - you
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Freelance....I have the Nikon 14-24G adapted with a 16-9.net adapter(made by Novoflex), and I absolutely love it...except you can't use filters, and it is quite heavy and big. but, the image quality cannot be disputed! I use it on a 1.3x, and travel with it everywhere(Italy last year, Kauai this year), and I specifically use it for landscape HDR's. Even, though this lens is stellar, I find myself looking at the Rokinon 14 just because of the price!! I tried the Rokinon 35 1.4(check my threads) and found it a very capable lens...and now they just announced the 24 1.4, too...(after I just bought Roger Cicala's Lens Rentals used 24 1.4ll for a pretty good price, albeit with some wear and tear). I really want the 24 1.4 for low light and wide open shots to complement my Zeiss 35 1.4, so...I might check out the Rokinon 14 2.8, and bag out on the 14-24G(maybe!!)....we'll see.

If you are interested in seeing some HDR's taken with the 14-24G, I can post a few more for you, or I also have some engagement shots I used it for, too. Let me know..

Gregg

When I was checking out adapters I saw that they were approx 79 to 150 dollars. That plus the nikon lens make it a pretty substantial investment. I've considered the nikon 14-24mm lens but that combo would always appear very strange to me every time I mated them together. If the Rokinson 14mm works out then problem solved. You don't run across many situations like this in life where you get a killer product verses money spent. The only other time that I have said wow on a product verses its low price is the 2009 and above remodeled Ninja 250cc motorcycles. What a great little motorcycle for 3,800 dollars in 2009.

For me to get the Roki 24mm or 35mm 1.4 lens I'd have to have auto focus as that's when I would be tracking more moving subjects. I'm not skilled at manual focus unless everything is still and I have live view open.

Greggf, I would like to see some of your images. Provide a link and I will check them out.

btaylor-Yeah, I know. I
    Mark - Flickr