Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Whats in your bag Canon Lineups

Re: Whats in your bag Canon Lineups

I once asked a photography teacher to recommend a lens, and he said, "To do what?"

I had no idea how loaded that question really was []

Yeah I was shooting a guy sitting at a table and I wanted to get some stuff on the wall behind him for texture. I shot him with my 24-105 @35 f-4. The background is still a little sharp I would have liked to have shot it at 2.0. I tried the 24 1.4 but I would have had to climb on the table and really get in his face and at that point I would have some facial distortion issues. I did take a shot at 50mm f4 with some decent bokeh happening. That will probably be the shot I go with just isn't as much background in it.

Damn expensive addiciti... I mean hobby, isn't it? [:P]

Lets see ...
    <h3>Bodies</h3>

Rebel XT w/ Grip

40D w/ Grip
    <h3>Lenses</h3>

EF-S 18-55mm

EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5

EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro

EF 70-200mm f/4 L

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS
    <h3>Lighting</h3>

430EX Speedlight w/ Sto-Fen diffuser

Canon Off-Shoe Flash Cord
    <h3>Support</h3>

Bogen 190XB Tripod w/ 486RC2 Ballhead

Bogen 680B Monopod
    <h3>Stuff</h3>

4GB Extreme III CF Cards

B&amp;W UV and Polarizing Filters

Cokin Graduated ND Filters

4 Camera Batteries

Black-Rapid Camera Strap

Lowepro SlingShot 300 Camera Bag

Off Brand Shutter Releases (wired and infrared)

That's about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

Yeah I was shooting a guy sitting at a table and I wanted to get some stuff on the wall behind him for texture. I shot him with my 24-105 @35 f-4. The background is still a little sharp I would have liked to have shot it at 2.0. I tried the 24 1.4 but I would have had to climb on the table and really get in his face and at that point I would have some facial distortion issues. I did take a shot at 50mm f4 with some decent bokeh happening. That will probably be the shot I go with just isn't as much background in it.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I know this may sound obvious but the gaussian blur in Photoshop can createquite a nice, naturaleffect. I hope I haven't spoken heresy, but it seems to me that OCCASIONALLY, one needs to get the shot, then *gently* adjust the results...no?

PS I bought a 5D ...it arrives tomorrow. I have gone FULL FRAME! Ahem, sorry, that was a little over the top...

Yours sincerely,

James Ducat

I know well of the gaussian blur. I use to make a living making parked cars look like they were in motion. Gaussian, Motion, Radial, Zoom, etc.

When it comes to my own photography though, I tend to be a bit of a purist and try to nail my lighting and DOF in the camera. I am trying to be disciplined. I have way too many photogs submit junk and just expect me to fix it in PS.

Some people have way too much time to be able to list all that stuff. I like to keep things simple:

5D + 28-70 f2.8 L

I do have a Sigma 12-24 on the way though.

Simplicity is nice...

But options are tempting []

My equipment is as follows:
    Bodies: Canon 1Ds (full-frame 11.1MP - still a great studio camera, but soon to be replaced with 1Ds Mk II )
    Canon 1D Mk II (1.3x crop sensor, 8.5fps - the camera I always reach for)
    Canon 10D (setup for product shots and macro stuff)
    Canon Rebel XSi ( wife's camera - hate it...)

Lenses: Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8 (magic lens! can do no wrong...)
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS (with 2X extender - 140-400mm equiv.)
    Sigma 17-35 f/2.8 EX DG HSM
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Macro (awesome lens, possibly my new favourite)

Flash: Canon Speedlight 580EX (2 units) with Stofen omni-bounce and 2 portable softboxes and lightstand mounts
    Canon ST-E2 Speedlight transmitter
    Bowen Travelite 3000 strobe w/softbox ( x 3 ) inc. battery pak
    Lots of misc stuff

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]After 25 years&hellip;
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]2 X T90s
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]28mm 2.8
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]50mm 1.4
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]85mm 1.8
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]70-210 F4
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Tamron 300mm 2.8
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]400mm 5.6
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]300TL flash
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Tamron 90mm macro
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]G5
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]40D + battery grip
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Sigma 18-50 2.8
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]28mm 2.8 (used as a standard lens)
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]70-200 F4
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]100mm 2.8 macro
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]430EX
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Tamron 300mm 2.8 (have a mount for FD &amp; EF)
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Capture One 4
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Benbo MK1
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Billingham 550
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Billingham 206
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Tamrac Adventure 9
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Filters, hoods, monopods, books, bags, gadgets, gizmos, junk, cables, this that and the other.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.76/photo.jpg[/img]

Here's my little kit. Sorry about the pic but I wanted to play with my nifty iPhone which is mainly used to track storms. Left some at home but here is the basic pack set up:

1Ds Mark II, 40D, 350D

17-85mm IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 100mm Macro w/full set of Kenko tubes

580EX, Gitzo 1325mkII w/Kirk BH-1, and Wal-Mart monopod

Everything packed in a Tamrac 5375 (Adventure 75) with a Tamrac filter case attached (typicals, UV, C-PL's, 6X Cross etc.)

It's light and rather mobile. I'm looking to add both the 24-105L (to replace 17-85mm) and 100-400L this summer. If possible (money allowing, haha) the MPE-65 will be in there as well. With the 3 zooms from 24-400 all having decent glass, I just can't justify getting any of the super tele's at this point. Maybe down the line if I'm spotted by NatGeo or Weather Channel then maybe. Right now it's the family's turn, bought a new home so that'll take some time to recoup...as long as the wife can stop buying stuff for the house. Can't actually be happy with having the house, gotta fill it out with ALL KINDS of new stuff!!

See you all around,

Rick