Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Milky Way shoot failure (success!)

Re: Milky Way shoot failure (success!)

That
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Nice work!

Just Brilliant!!!
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Absolutelly superb! Stunning! You have created something for all us to enjoy and learn from.

Regards,

John.

Oh wow! That
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U

Epic shot Rocco, it has that dawn of creation feel, just a billion years too late.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Actually, evidence suggests he's about 3.2 - 3.8 billion years too late....but who's counting?

It all kind of runs together after the first billion....[]

Awesome capture!

Is that rain coming down and did lightning strikes light up the bright portion of the image? Is that the picture as shot with noise reduction software? Can you post the original image as it came out of the camera so that I/we can see what you were working from? Single exposure I'm assuming by what you wrote where I usually have to do a much longer exposure to get the stars to show up like that. I'm not in the mountains but I consider most of Arkansas where I'm stuck to be the boonies. I am not super experienced at photographing night time skies so I'm always looking to learn more. Not real sure on the photo stacking concept yet.

Thanks everyone. Was definitely one of the most humbling experiences I've had so far. I don't think we said a single word to each other the whole time, almost like talking would scare the moment away.

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots

Awesome capture!

Is that rain coming down and did lightning strikes light up the bright portion of the image? Is that the picture as shot with noise reduction software? Can you post the original image as it came out of the camera so that I/we can see what you were working from? Single exposure I'm assuming by what you wrote where I usually have to do a much longer exposure to get the stars to show up like that. I'm not in the mountains but I consider most of Arkansas where I'm stuck to be the boonies. I am not super experienced at photographing night time skies so I'm always looking to learn more. Not real sure on the photo stacking concept yet.

I know it just a simple tree here in my scene compared to yours but night photography is really fun.

It was definitely raining. I purple-ish cloud had this weird horizontal lightning cutting through it. I have another shot where that type of lightning peeked through but my settings were all wrong on that one. the orange glow you see came mostly from a small town on the other side of the hills there. If you look to the left of the lightning bolt on the right, you can see one of the lights. Guess I should also mention that my white balance was set to "daylight".

This was a single shot @ 30/sec. If I had been shooting stacked images of the milky way like I was originally planning, they would have been 15-20 seconds apart @ 17mm to avoid any type of star trail. other than pushing the blacks to 7 and adjusting the contrast, noise reduction was all that was added. There was quite a bit of noise.

Here's the shot straight out of the camera.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/1000x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/0020.IMG_5F00_9856.jpg[/img]

Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Rocco

Was there any sign of Charlton Heston?
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss