Page 34 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best Macro shots

Re: Post your best Macro shots

I guess I should have been more clear, I sometimes catch these guys in fresh water streams so knew that it was fresh water. But oyesters are even uglier, but I like

I have been using my 300mm for what seems to be a ton of macro recently. These had a 36mm tube and 1.4x tc attached. Thought I would share a couple. Sorry for those who don't like spiders, but these particular spiders, I think, are pretty cool.

Agree Jason,2 thumbs up for the 300 f/4 L.

While technically not macros it's is a terrific lens for shooting close ups of insects and bugs.

(Canon 7d, iso 800, 1/250th @ f/9)

And while it's not the fastest focusing lens in the bag, it's a nice focal length to even be able to catch the occasional dragon in flight.

(Canon 7D, iso 400, 1/2000 @ f/8)

"I'm the king of the black, white, and red tree!"

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5582.IMG_5F00_8200cs600x900.JPG[/img]

(proof once again that you should always swap your rear lens caps when changing lenses, because you never know what is going to happen to it)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

And the 'portrait' shot I got of him once he'd reached the top, then tried to climb further (not that there was anything to climb on to, except the front of my lenses, he tried that often enough)

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/900x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/3326.IMG_5F00_8214rcs900x600.JPG[/img]
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Where do you live to encounter a bug like that, at the zoo or a tropical rain forest?

adelaide, australia.

I got home and my 80 year old neighbour came in and said "look what i found on our grapefruit tree".

he
    Gear Photos

Woah! Dr Croubie, with you being an Aussie.. I DEMAND more insect macros! [] I've heard you guys have some wild bugs crawling around down there.. like this guy. We don't have anything quite like that here in Utah. Very strange and exotic to me.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I've done some digging, and it's called Extatosoma Tiatarum, and they are endemic to Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extatosoma_tiaratum says they're only meant to be from up north in Queensland, so maybe this one was (descended from) an escaped pet...

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/900x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7838.IMG_5F00_8193rs900x600.JPG[/img]

"I'm a scorpion!"

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/900x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/3666.IMG_5F00_8204rcs900x600.JPG[/img]

Guy knows his quality lenses, he didn't go near the niftyfifty when I was taking shots using the L..
    Gear Photos

Also, for more weird bugs, check out these guys. We always called them "spitfires" as kids, and I thought they were caterpillars from moths or butterflies. Turns out that they're the grubs of sawflies, family Pergidae (related to wasps and ants), and they do indeed spit out some nasty chemicals to warn off things that might eat them. Always gotta be careful about walking underneath them, but then again you can't look up to see where they are or a dropbear will get you. Man this is a dangerous country to live in.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/900x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/6862.IMG_5F00_6919rcs900x900.JPG[/img]

And for no artistic merit, this is just to show what they can do in larger numbers (although that's nothing compared to some 'swarms' i've seen as a kid). This particular shot was in a eucalypt tree in a playground, directly over the swing set...

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/900x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/8741.IMG_5F00_7615rcs900x600.JPG[/img]
    Gear Photos