Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this photo a keeper or one for the trash can?

Is this photo a keeper or one for the trash can?

Hi All -

The other morning I took a trip to Horicon Marsh and when I got there, the fog was so thick that I could hardly see anything! So needless to say, many of the early a.m. photos I took need help ...lots of help!

Here is one that the original photo is unquestionably NOT a keeper! But I thought maybe with some work, it may be saveable! I really like the detail in the tree and where the hawk is sitting. Since I have nothing but time on my hands these days, I thought I would try a few different ways of processing it.

What do you think? I just thought I'd ask opinions before I delete the original ...are any of these keepers? I'm also up for ideas or other pp techniques. I was thinking maybe a dark eerie approach since it was so foggy and he sort of startled me when I first spotted him!

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/6661.IMG_5F00_3088.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/3681.IMG_5F00_3088_5F00_2.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/0246.IMG_5F00_3088_5F00_3.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/8561.IMG_5F00_3088_5F00_4.jpg[/img]

Thanks for looking!

Denise

Re: Is this photo a keeper or one for the trash can?

I like the last one best.

It is a good strategy to try different filters and special effects on images that are considered non-keepers because detail and noise are less of an issue in these cases.

Very creative, I like it.

Thanks, Joel! Iliked the last one best also but I thought maybe the 3rd if I lightened up on the blue tinit. This original photo did show above average noise due to the fog so I thought I would go with it and use it as more of a film effect.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

I actually like the look of the first one. It has the feel of a drawing out of an old book to me. I think overall they look cool and got that film look for sure.

I'd be curious to see the original to see where this photo started.

-Nick

#2 is my favorite. Definitely a keeper.

Thanks, guys! So far, each has a vote (or two) ...my daughter liked #1 & #3!

You don't REALLY want to see the original do you? Well, ok ... but prepare yourself ...it's horrendous!

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/6758.IMG_5F00_3088_5F00_unedited.JPG[/img]

Hi Denise. I like #1 the best, then #4. Those two for me create the most "mood".

Must have been a fun day!

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar

I

Denise---I agree with the others regarding using the filters to improve the image. Personaly, I like the third one the best. I would also offer the suggestion to try a little pseudo HDR or one shot HDR; sometimes that has away of increasing contrast and detail---but....sometimes it can completely trash a photo---But it might be worth a try. This photo is definitely worth the effort to salvage it.
    Bob

Thank you guys for your opinions and suggestions!

Here is my last attempt on this one ...then I have to decide which to keep! It naturally pulled out the colors from the morning sunrise. My daughter hates this one so maybe I should stick to what I had going! I think #1 is winning on the opinion poll!

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/14/0068.IMG_5F00_3088_5F00_6.jpg[/img]