Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed Once Again ...this time on camera bodies

Re: Advice Needed Once Again ...this time on camera bodies

Yes, Raid, and at this time last year, the latest rumors stated that the 1DsIV was due out immediately, with the 5DIII following in early 2011. Take any 7DII rumors with a large grain of salt, say, asteroid-sized.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Well what we do know is that Canon stated that there would be no new products until production was back to normal (there are still 3 big lenses that have not shipped). As all of the L Series lenses and 1 Series bodies come from Japan we can all understand their production problems.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<o><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]There will be a CPS (Professional) event on the 18<sup>th</sup> on this month, so it should be interesting to see what&rsquo;s coming.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<o><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]http://www.canonrumors.com/<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]When I buy a new equipment like a Lens or Body I will buy when its first released, that way I get the maximum life out of the product. OK still using a 350D after 6 years may seem like I keep them too long (it still takes better pictures than me).
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]You already have an excellent body in the 7D so why would you want to change? The resale value of a 2008 design just keeps going down, so why don&rsquo;t you keep the 7D and enjoy yourself.<o></o>
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid
    <span style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US" lang="EN-US"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="FONT-FAMILY: Calibri"]Well what we do know is that Canon stated that there would be no new products until production was back to normal

I must have not been paying attention. I haven't seen this Canon announcement.

<span style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US" lang="EN-US"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="FONT-FAMILY: Calibri"](there are still 3 big lenses that have not shipped). As all of the L Series lenses and 1 Series bodies come from Japan we can all understand their production problems.

The plant that was damaged this spring, was the plant that makes the big telephoto's. So it is understandable. However the R&amp;D division was up and running with no damage just days after the Tsunami.

I wouldn't believe anything from Canon Rumors. For two years they have been predicting that the 1Ds IV will be released in just a few months. At some point their prophecy will be fulfilled, not because of some magic insight, but because time presses on and things eventually happen.

I will make my own prediction, even if the 7D is replaced tomorrow, the price of the new 7D replacement will be 30% higher than the model now and the 7D prices now will remain unaffected.

A Canon Rumor for the 1Ds IVfrom the link you attached

• <span style="background-color: #ffffff;"]54MP (no low pass filter)
    • <span style="background-color: #ffffff;"]Decent 6400 ISO performance
    • <span style="background-color: #ffffff;"]Same AF as 1D Mark IV
    • <span style="background-color: #ffffff;"]14 stops DR
    • <span style="background-color: #ffffff;"]16 bit Raw file (mode to be confirmed)
    • <span style="background-color: #ffffff;"]Digic V
    • <span style="background-color: #ffffff;"]Limited new HD video function in comparison with the 5D III

<p class="MsoNormal"]<span lang="EN-US" style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US;"]<span style="FONT-SIZE: small"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]You already have an excellent body in the 7D so why would you want to change? The resale value of a 2008 design just keeps going down, so why don&rsquo;t you keep the 7D and enjoy yourself.

Because sometimes life takes an unexpected turn and you need to make some unwelcomed but necessaryadjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

<span style="mso-ansi-language:EN-US;" lang="EN-US"]<span style="font-size:small;"]<span style="FONT-FAMILY:Calibri;"]Well what we do know is that Canon stated that there would be no new products until production was back to normal

I must have not been paying attention. I haven't seen this Canon announcement.

Although Canon never made any sort of official announcement about delaying product launches until production was back to normal, even if they had it's irrelevant - back in July,Masaya Maeda (head of Canon's camera division) told Reuters that Canon had restored production to pre-quake levels by the end of June (not rumor - fact, here's the [url="http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/05/us-canon-idUSTRE7640QX20110705]link to the Reuters article[/url]).

[quote=Raid]<span>...the 7D ... a 2008 design[/quote]

[quote=Raid]<span style="mso-ansi-language:EN-US;" lang="EN-US"]<span style="font-size:small;"]<span style="FONT-FAMILY:Calibri;"](there are still 3 big lenses that have not shipped). As all of the L Series lenses and 1 Series bodies come from Japan we can all understand their production problems.[/quote]
    <div>Facts trump rumors. The 7D was released in 2009, not 2008. Also, while it's not incorrect to state that L lenses and 1-series bodies are made in Japan, in fact, almost all of the higher end products are made in Japan, including xD and xxD bodies and most lenses. The low-end consumer lenses (generally the ones with plastic mounts, like the EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm, and EF 50mm f/1.8 II), and some of the xxxD/xxxxD bodies, are made in Taiwan and Malaysia. But as stated above, Canon claims that production in Japan has been back to normal for quite some time.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>
    I wouldn't believe anything from Canon Rumors. For two years they have been predicting that the 1Ds IV will be released in just a few months. At some point their prophecy will be fulfilled, not because of some magic insight, but because time presses on and things eventually happen.
    </div>

Exactly. Canon Rumors, like those 900-number psychic hotlines, should have a big disclaimer: For Entertainment Purposes Only. Every so often, someone will post something like, "I just sold my 24-70mm because you said a new version with IS was coming out in February, but it didn't come and now I don't have a lens for what I need." The thing is, CR predicted a new 24-70mm in February. Of 2009. And 2010. And 2011. But don't worry, I'm sure there will be one in 2012.

Rumors should not used to drive purchase decisions, since rumored products don't perform well before they are actaully available.

<span>When I buy a new equipment like a Lens or Body I will buy when its first released, that way I get the maximum life out of the product.

Why? Because once a new version is released, the old version stops performing as well? I wouldn't use resale value to justify that, either. Take Rick's prediction as an example, and I'll back that up with history - when the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II came out, it was substantially more expensive than the original, so retailers promptly raised the price of their remaining MkI units to full MSRP (about a $300 increase over street price), and correspondingly, prices on used copies of the MkI went up quite a bit.

There is a 2 yr. old 1D mkII on FM that has only 26820 actuations on it...

"Price: $1075 net to me. $1125 if you prefer regular PayPal. Lowered to $1050 net.

I cover 2 days express shipping"

It doesn

John

Unfortunately the Canon Rumors may be true, and a 54mp 1Ds IV will be competing with this:

www.bhphotovideo.com/.../Hasselblad_70480542_H4D_50_Digital_SLR_Camera.html

And priced accordingly........

14 stops of dynamic range...I should sell all the GND's I just bought rightnow before its release...they may not be needed anymore.

Denice

We kind of de-railed your thread...but why not concider one of the new rebels. I use live view all the time with macro and landscape. With some of the boides mentioned you will loose that ability. Biggest negative I see is that you won't have the AF adjustment, but you could always pack up your Canon lenses and ship them to Canon and make them do it. The problem with the 5D or the 1D II is that I see them selling for not much less than you will get out of your 7D. If you are only going to gain a few hundred dollars it may not be worth it to you. You could sell your 7D and buy one of the new model rebels and pick up a fair amount. Biggest negative is that your memory cards and batteries won't work with them.

Hopefully you won't need to make this decission either way and things will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

It doesn't appear I would come out much ahead but every little bit helps I guess. Only thing, I need to think quick before it's gone ....errr, decisions, decisions!

Check batteries and Cards and figure those in the equation. Like I said in the other post, no live view. For me it is a must with macro. Not much of a gain over a camera that works for you.

Denise,

Rick brought up some good points. Switching to the 1D MKII sounds like a sideways move at best and perhaps even a downgrade compared to your 7D. It doesn't sound like enough of a savings to make the switch and assume the risk of someone else's camera. It has a much higher acctuation rate than your 7D and I'm not sure how that camera is only 2 years old??

I think that your 7D will hold it's value longer.

Also, your EF-S and Digital Lenses won't work on the 1D MkII.

Try to hold onto your 7D if you can and I will always lend you some lenses. I'm serious!

Rich

Unfortunately the Canon Rumors may be true, and a 54mp 1Ds IV will be competing with this:

Maybe, Rick. But if it were about MP alone, the 7D should be just about as good as the 5DII. Is it? I think sensor size makes a big difference, and no matter how many MPs get crammed into a FF sensor, MF will still have better IQ. BTW, what's up with the "<span>Wide ISO Range (100-800)" on the Hassy? It's so wide, it's nearly as wide as the 100-1600 of the original Canon D30...

<span>
    .I should sell all the GND's I just bought rightnow before its release...they may not be needed anymore.

<span>Sounds like a great idea!

We kind of de-railed your thread...but why not concider one of the new rebels. I use live view all the time with macro and landscape. With some of the boides mentioned you will loose that ability. Biggest negative I see is that you won't have the AF adjustment, but you could always pack up your Canon lenses and ship them to Canon and make them do it. The problem with the 5D or the 1D II is that I see them selling for not much less than you will get out of your 7D.

Yep, sorry , Denise! Personally, I don't think changing from a 7D to a 1DIIN or 5D is a good idea - minimal cost recovery, loss of EF-S compatibility when you have EF-S/DC lenses, and loss of Live VIew seem like bad trade-offs when you'd get $200-300 net at best.