Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: EOS 1D X announced!

Re: EOS 1D X announced!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

Does anyone think that Canon could come out with a 1.7X extender (like Nikon) that would allow the 500mm f/4 to become an 840mm @ f/7.1 that would be able to AF, or is it too late for that?

<div>

Never-mind, I just answered my own question. The 1D X won't AF with f/8 max lenses, but I also just read that it won't AF with apertures smaller than f/5.6, which would also disqualify f/6.3 and f/7.1.

Rich
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane
    which would also disqualify f/6.3 and f/7.1.

FWIW, I think it's very likely that f/6.3 would work. There are many f/6.3 lenses that work now with AF that only "supposed" to work at f/5.6 or faster (e.g. 500mm f/4.5 with 1.4X TC).

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

I like Bryan's last comment

"There are still some Canon EOS 1D Mark IV bodies available."

Maybe a little speculation on my part, the 1D IV might hold its value very well.

I think you're right, because Adorama is asking $5500 for it, which is about $500 more than usual.

I'm still not sure that Canon will do away with the APS-H sensor. Maybe It could fill the gap between the 7d MKII and the 1D X.

I don't know. A lot of good ideas floating out there.. but I don't see how a 5D mkIII with higher resolution than the 1Dx, slower AF, etc wouldn't cannibalize the market for the 1Dx any less than the 5DmkII did for the 1Ds mkIII. At that point you'd again see a bunch of people with two bodies, a 7D and a 5D. Only now they wouldn't have the allure of a 1D mkIV in the professional line. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with, for sure.

Who knows, an APS-H 5D? Could be good or bad I guess. If the 1Dx was the only full frame, you'd see a lot of pros either making the purchase or jumping ship.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote from Chuck Westfall: "CW: To get the full two stops of improved performance you

I think people were expecting too much. When the 1D Mark III was released Canon claimed 50% less shadows noise at all ISO settings compared to the previous model. When the Mark IV was released Canon claimed two stops of improvement: 1 stop when shooting RAW and another stop when shooting JPEG

Wouldn
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I got to play with the 1D X at the PDN photo expo this past week. It's very nice. I'm going to start saving up for one right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie
    Wouldn't using the exact same sensor tech as the 1d4, but in a FF sensor automatically improve noise by nearly 1 stop?

About 0.6 stops. Your point is taken and I wondered about the same thing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie

cf the Nikon camp:

D700: 2303iso

So the 1D x sensitivity will not be better than the ancient D700? I find this incredible, and if true, I agree with Daniel. It's time for Canon to stop crippling their bodies with lameo sensors not made by sony (unless, of course- and this is likely- there is something I am missing. )

This sounds crazy, but I am seriously considering the 1Dx. But I don't think I can bring myself to shell out $6000 for a camera with worse noise than a D700 (if it really is... I guess we'll see), especially when all II really want is a full frame camera with more than one useful af point (and by useful I mean useful to me). I'm getting tired of focus and recompose. Maybe I should sell my canon gear and get a D700.

But then don't forget, the D700/3/3s are 'only' 12MP, it's easier to keep SNR noise down on a lower MP body because photosites take up more space than interwiring (ie, if canon re-made the 5D classic now with 1DX-type sensor tech and gapless lenses, it would probably get 2000).

But then, play to the whistle, we can only compare what's released, and for low-iso, nikon just wins. the D3X at 1992iso is what the 1Ds4 should have been capable of, if it was a simple upgrade to the 30mp everyone was expecting.

Still, it's going to be fun to see what nikon comes up with, if the d800 really is 36mp as expected, things are going to get interesting...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos