Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandisk Memory Cards

Re: Sandisk Memory Cards

Picture Style Neutral

White balance AWB

The rest of the settings I wouldn't think would matter

Here are my results, with the settings we described above:

I did two sets of tests, one with the cap on and one set with the cap off. The set with the cap off was outside. I had identical results for the test outside with the cap off as I had inside. However before I finished I wanted to check something. So I tried the test again with the cap off, the cap off test is not repeatable. The difference in light changes the outcome, with my second test outside I had 4 fewer frames in the 20 seconds. For a fair comparison I think we need to stick with cap on, otherwise light may taint the results.

A few notes:
    1. The HOODMAN RAW 675X UDMA 6 32 GB is the only card that I wrote to.
    2. I removed the Lexar SDHC 32GB 133x and tested the camera without it in, and then again with it in. The Lexar is just a back up.
    3. With the Lexar out I had almost the exact same shots in 20 seconds, in fact it seemed like I gained 1 shot sometimes when the Lexar was in.
    4. I tested the burst and it would last between 3.8 and 4.4 seconds. It was hard to be exact.
    5. When the Lexar was in, I continually got 1 less shot out of the burst
    6. With the Lexar in I had 34 shots from a burst in bright light, 35 with the cap on.
    7. With only the HOODMAN in I had a burst of 35 in bright light, and 36 with the cap on.
    8. With the lens cap on, and in the first test I did against white, it averaged 70 shots, 28.4 seconds to finish writing and the files size was 1.08 GB
    9. The average would be 38mbs, which is slightly slower than this morning when the file sizes were larger and I was getting fewer frames.

So what did I learn from this, other than it is 5 o'clock and time for Rich's salt and Tequila?
    1. Having the second slow card in costs 1 frame out of a burst.
    2. The published burst rate of 26 isn't the exact number, I was getting 34 - 36. I think this may be because the camera is writing during the burst.
    3. I have entirely to much time on my hand

Brant

I just noticed you said do the test at 3 seconds as well. It was hard to be accurate at 3 seconds, however it seemed like I hit between 24 and 27 frames. It took between 7.5 and 8 seconds to finish writing.

The average seemed to be 49MBs to 51MBs

It appears to write faster during the initial burst, then must slow down as it gets backlogged.

Rick,

I just finished up my tests. And with the conditions we discussed, my 7D with the Sandisk Extreme 60 MB/s card, I averaged (both tests were identical) 68 shots in 20 seconds, with 30 sec of write time (from start of shooting to when the red LED was off) and total file size of 1.19 GB for an average of 39.7 MB/s. The three second burst I had 24 shots for 430 MB, a total write time of 10 seconds and a write rate of 43 MB/s.

So a little off of what I got last night and more in line with what you

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]OK folks,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] after reading the test results and impressions of others I started feeling like I had exaggerated my personal impressions of the differences between different CF cards...So,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I had to conduct a test for myself. <o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]The test:<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]Canon 7D <o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]Canon 50 1.2L<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]Camera on a tripod and pointed at a skylight in my house<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]shutter released with a TC80N3<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]Camera set to Manual, f1.2, 100, ISO 100,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Periph-Illum off<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]RAW only<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]Using various CF cards, time a shutter burst for 15 seconds and record results.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]3 runs and results averaged. <o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]Here are the results:<o></o>
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" class="MsoNormalTable" style="margin: auto auto auto 4.65pt; width: 475px; border-collapse: collapse; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;"]
    <tbody>
    <tr style="height: 30pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes;"]
    <td width="191" valign="top" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 143pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 30pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #f0f0f0;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]CF Card<o></o>
    </td>
    <td width="141" valign="top" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 106pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 30pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #f0f0f0;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Rated Write Speed<o></o>
    </td>
    <td width="143" valign="top" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 107pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 30pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #f0f0f0;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]# of shots recorded in 15 Seconds (timed with a stop watch)<o></o>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr style="height: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 1;"]
    <td width="191" valign="bottom" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 143pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 15pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #f0f0f0;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Sandisk II 8GB<o></o>
    </td>
    <td width="141" valign="bottom" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 106pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 15pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #f0f0f0;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]10 MB/Sec<o></o>
    </td>
    <td width="143" valign="bottom" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 107pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 15pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #f0f0f0;"]
    <p align="right" class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: right; line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]30<o></o>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr style="height: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 2;"]
    <td width="191" valign="bottom" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 143pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 15pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #f0f0f0;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Lexar Platinum II 80 2GB<o></o>
    </td>
    <td width="141" valign="bottom" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 106pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 15pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #f0f0f0;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]30 MB/Sec<o></o>
    </td>
    <td width="143" valign="bottom" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 107pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 15pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #f0f0f0;"]
    <p align="right" class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: right; line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]37<o></o>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr style="height: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 3;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Kingston Ultimate 16GB<o></o>
    </td>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]40MB/S<o></o>
    </td>
    <p align="right" class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: right; line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]36<o></o>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr style="height: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 4;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Sandisk Extreme<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] 16 MB<o></o>
    </td>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]60MB/Sec<o></o>
    </td>
    <p align="right" class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: right; line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]55<o></o>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr style="height: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 5;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Sandisk Extreme 32 MB<o></o>
    </td>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]60MB/Sec<o></o>
    </td>
    <p align="right" class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: right; line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]54<o></o>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr style="height: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 6;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Delkin Combat Flash 16MB<o></o>
    </td>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]91MB/Sec<o></o>
    </td>
    <p align="right" class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: right; line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]60<o></o>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr style="height: 15pt; mso-yfti-irow: 7; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<o><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"](There was no more than 1 frame difference per same card per run)<span style="color: black; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;"]<o></o>
    </td>
    <td width="141" valign="bottom" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 106pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 15pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #f0f0f0;"]</td>
    <td width="143" valign="bottom" style="padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 107pt; padding-right: 5.4pt; height: 15pt; padding-top: 0in; border: #f0f0f0;"]</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]So, Is there a significant difference between the cards?<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Clearly,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] the answer is yes, at least between the slowest and fastest cards.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] What is not so clear is the difference between a 60MB/S card and a 91MB/s card--Since even the heaviest of fingers probably don't hold down the shutter for 15 seconds at a time,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] the difference would further be reduced as the weight of your finger is reduced.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]What I did find interesting was that the Kingston (with a higher write speed rating) performed poorer than the Lexar.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]So, for what's in my inventory, my impression is the Sandisk Extreme 60s are the best bang for the buck.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] But I would love to run a Hoodman through the same test.<o></o>
    Bob

Might give a go at a test this weekend, when I

Alright...I decided to do one more test...and this one might be an eyeopener

This test the HOODMAN RAW 675X 16 GB 100mbs

The Old Test the HOODMAN RAW 675X 32 GB 100 mbs

In my previous post the 32 GB had 70 frames in 20 seconds. About 35 in the burst which took a bit over 4 seconds. The average of 38mbs

The test, I have two of the HODMAN RAW 675X 16GB and both tested identical
    1. 93 frames in 20 seconds
    2. 1.44 gb on the card
    3. write time of 25.6 seconds
    4. That would be 56MBs
    5. Burst of 40 shots
    6. The burst was about 4.5 seconds

The smaller card outperformed the larger one and they are both rated the same.

Rick, Which camera were you using for these tests?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane
    I'm no expert on this stuff, so take these suggestions with a grain of salt and a shot of Tequila

You know, the more suggestions you make like this, the better each one sounds......
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I knew there was a reason I liked you guys. Mezcal for me please
    Bob

Rich

The 1D IV, I gave my 7D to my brother when we went to Yellowstone this summer. I think he has two of my old scandisk as well, if he had lived a little closer I would have compared the two bodies.

Rick