Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Starting Birding Lens?

John, I didn't know the 100-400mm is about 3" shorter, but it must be bulkier that's why I think the 400mm 5.6 is still smaller even it's a little longer, you actually reminded me that the 400mm 5.6 has another good thing is the built-in lens hood, very cool.

Welcome back Nate (Sinh Nhut Nguyen)....its been a long time. You still hand holding the 500?

Franco, when I was writing my opinion, Nate's bird photos w/his 400 f5.6 were a big influence on how I would modify/complete my lens quiver.

His pix, both static and BIF are excellent and put to rest any concerns I had about a lens w/out IS.

First let me say, I also agree w/HDN & Neuro's opinions (boy, I hate saying I agree w/Neuro), but unlike HDN's concern for his shaking, I believe my technique for hand holding a camera/lens is solid and allows me to drop to some lower shutter speeds w/out assistance of IS.

So, as the IS issue has been discussed by both sides of the fence....it comes down to a personal preference. Myself....I don't believe I'll need IS w/a 400 f5.6 and yes, I've used the 400 f5.6.

100-400 Dust issue....I agree w/HDN and Neuro...like Rick, I've had the 100-400 for 3+ years (on camera 90% of the time before 500) and I believe the dust issue is an "old wives' tale", but unlike Neuro, mine hasn't had a UV filter on it. So, as to Neuro's point about dust....it probably adds protection from dust, positively from scratches, but is it necessary for dust protection....???

Push/pull; again another personal preference. Myself, I really enjoy it...its quick and easy. Yes, I still have the 100-400, but it doesn't get much use now that I have the 500. It will be going up for sale soon to purchase a 70-200 IS 2.8 and the 400 f5.6 to complete (?) my lens quiver.

Suggestion Franco; do you have a camera shop in the area that rents lenses (or maybe on-line LensRentals)? Try them for a wkend and form your own opinion.

Good luck and have fun making your decision.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill W; 11-22-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W View Post
    First let me say, I also agree w/HDN & Neuro's opinions (boy, I hate saying I agree w/Neuro), but unlike HDN's concern for his shaking, I believe my technique for hand holding a camera/lens is solid and allows me to drop to some lower shutter speeds w/out assistance of IS.
    I am just glad I didn't decide to go in to the medical field and become a surgeon. It isn't technique that shakes it is me....

@ fracon... There is more than one way to shoot a bird. Every person is different some always off tripod, some with monopod and some hand held. Like JJ said he is going for the action, some people go for the pose. Some take hikes through the woods to get shots. Some take shots out the windows of their vehicles at the local park. Like Nate said, his style of shooting the IS is off 90% of the time. You have to ask yourself what percentage of the time you would need it.

Either lens will serve you well, I think the thread has defined the limitations of both very well.

Unfortunately the lenses you are considering are just a stepping stone if you are really serious. Many of those giving you a response have moved up to a 500mm F4L.