Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fast Prime for night shots recommendations

My only concern is that I don't have microadjustment on my 60D, so any significant focus issues are going to need to be handled by a shop. I have no idea where I can turn to for that sort of thing short of taking the lens back to where I bought it from.

One more vote for the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX HSM. The lens is great for low light work and I can also recommend it. A bit soft wide open (might be my technique also) but stopped down it's great and still fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ham View Post
    My only concern is that I don't have microadjustment on my 60D, so any significant focus issues are going to need to be handled by a shop. I have no idea where I can turn to for that sort of thing short of taking the lens back to where I bought it from.
    You can find out from the Sigma website or by googling who is the authorized service center for Sigma glass in your area. At least here in Finland Sigma warranty covers the possible adjustement of the lens to play nicely with the camera (only downside you will have to leave your camera body to the shop for a little while). My copy of the Sigma 30mm front focuses a bit but I haven't needed the fine tuning by the service center because I can use a slight micro adjustment with my 7D.

Firephoto:

You did not say whether you had other uses for the lens other than your up coming trip. From your original post, it sounds like you are getting new lens for that trip. If you want a new prime and this is as good as a reason as you are going to get to justify the lens (sounds good to me), then the others have more relevent information above. However, if you are laying out this kind of cash for one trip, it may be better to rent a lens for the short time you will be using it. You already have a 24-70 f/2.8L which is pretty nice glass, and it should cover you for any other casual low light shooting you may have.

Pat

Pat,

That is a good point. I'll have to think about how I am going to use the lens afterwards.

I am thinking that I would be stopping either lens, Canon or Sigma, to f/2 or smaller to deliver a certain depth of field which wouldn't be a tremendous gain over the 24-70 f2.8L wide open.

I was leaning towards a Canon EF lens because DPP has lens correction and if I ever go full frame I can keep it.
    Brett

I went with the majority and got the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX-DC HSM lens. I ordered it Monday and it showed Tuesday. I haven't had much time to test it out but, the focus looks good which was my biggest concern. Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
    Brett

Keep us updated with your thoughts on the lens. There are many other members still on the fence with regards to the Sigma, and they'd be eager to hear another opinion on it.

Hi All Somewhere in the posts someone mentioned a Conon referb lens site.. can I have the URL/WWW please. Ta

This is the link to Canon Direct Store - Refurbished Lenes & Speedlites:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs....mc_id=C126149
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I just got the Sigma 30 f1.4 after a long journey that involved returning a Tamron 17-50 with focus issues and putting a Zeiss 35 f/2 up for sale (live it but can't deal with MF and moving subjects). Initial results look really good. I'd heard f1.4 was not useable, but I am not finding that at all so long as the subject is stationary and you don't need much sharpness out of the corners of the frame. But I rarely care about the corners when at f1.4. The build quality and handling are great. Hopefully I'll have some test shots at some point soon.

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    Hopefully I'll have some test shots at some point soon.
    Looking forward to it.