Page 239 of 558 FirstFirst ... 139189229237238239240241249289339 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,390 of 5572

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Thanks Denise, just finished watching the Packers defeat the Lions .... 11-0 wow!
    Looking forward to the Super Bowl!!

A friend of mine always has season tickets and he wants me to take some shots of them playing for his office walls ...but I don't have a long enough lens!

Back on track ...I think I'm going to put some food out for the woodpeckers! I put all of my bird feeders away for the winter because they always seem to attract a lot more than birds this time of year!

Bob, thanks, I assume you were talking to me (it's Dustin by the way). I actually gave up on Woodpecker feeders. The morning after I set them up I went outside and there were two squirrels on every one! This is unfortunate b/c I see a lot of woodpeckers in my yard. I also saw a fat Eastern Towhee today. I thought this was odd at first until I checked my bird book. Apparently they are permanent occupiers of southeast Missouri. This is my first winter in southeast Missouri so I thought that was kind of neat.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by dsiegel5151 View Post
    Bob, thanks, I assume you were talking to me (it's Dustin by the way). I actually gave up on Woodpecker feeders. The morning after I set them up I went outside and there were two squirrels on every one! This is unfortunate b/c I see a lot of woodpeckers in my yard. I also saw a fat Eastern Towhee today. I thought this was odd at first until I checked my bird book. Apparently they are permanent occupiers of southeast Missouri. This is my first winter in southeast Missouri so I thought that was kind of neat.

Dustin,

I have "a million" squirrels on my property and they love just about any kind if bird food EXCEPT safflower seed. I have chased them away from my platform feeder so much that now all I have to do is rattle the door knob and they run. Of course they eat up while I'm at work.

For my suet cages I use skinny metal "shepherd pole" type hangers and baffles. Sometimes, for fun, I spray the pole with vegetable oil.

Also make sure they are at least 10 feet from anything the squirrels could jump from.

Squirrel are amazing in what they can do to get to the food, some people just recommend feeding them as well just to keep them off the bird food.

Don't give up though, the woodpeckers are worth it.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post

A friend of mine always has season tickets and he wants me to take some shots of them playing for his office walls ...but I don't have a long enough lens!

Back on track ...I think I'm going to put some food out for the woodpeckers! I put all of my bird feeders away for the winter because they always seem to attract a lot more than birds this time of year!

Denise,

I would think your 100-400 would work well for football. I would go to the game just to try it

Why remove the feeders in winter?

To me that's when birds need the food most and when you get the most photo ops as well, that's a win-win isn't it?

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Denise,

I would think your 100-400 would work well for football. I would go to the game just to try it

Why remove the feeders in winter?

To me that's when birds need the food most and when you get the most photo ops as well, that's a win-win isn't it?

Joel
    He said he would rent me whatever lens I needed but how annoying would that be for the people around me ...I don't want to make fellow packer fans angry.

For the feeders, I have a small backyard so the feeders are pretty close to the house and the food on the ground tends to attract the little furry critters that I have an absolute fear of and then they try to come in the house to get warm!

He said he would rent me whatever lens I needed but how annoying would that be for the people around me ...I don't want to make fellow packer fans angry.
    Denise - be careful. I researched this for a Packer game because I wanted to bring my 7D and 70-300L, and I came away thinking that "pro" gear technically isn't allowed in the stands. Big white lenses will attract attention and they might confiscate. I'd call the organization to confirm, but I'm nearly certain that's the policy. It protects the pros on the sidelines.

It looks like you're allowed smaller than a 12inch lens at Lambeau Field, so your 100-400mm may work depending on your seating location. However, I would think that you would need a day game for that lens to work well.

Look under "C" of the A-Z guide below:

http://www.packers.com/gameday/lambe...o-z-guide.html

The Super Bowl this year will be at Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the Indianapolis Colts.

Congrats on your Packers, they look like the real deal!

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 11-25-2011 at 04:23 PM.

I guess I will have to look into the rules more!

Well, when I was in the backyard with the dogs today, I saw a downy woodpecker in my neighbors tree so I ran into the house to get my camera but by the time I got back, of course it was gone!

I was able to capture this looking at me from his tree though ....

Peek-A-Boo! by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

So, off I went to the store and picked up a new suet holder and two suet cakes (one peanut & the other mealworms)! Hopefully, it won't take them long to come over to my tree!

Denise - That is a really cool shot. I like that a lot.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Denise, really cool face on shot of the male Cardinal, very sharp and good detail in the reds which is not easy to do alot of times.