Thread: Canon 35mm f/1.4L vs 50mm f/1.2L Vs Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L II USM Lens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am thinking of getting 35mm 1.4, I read on a website that canon has applied for a patent for the new type of 35mm 1.4, is that true and when do you think it will come in the market?

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi View Post
    I am thinking of getting 35mm 1.4, I read on a website that canon has applied for a patent for the new type of 35mm 1.4, is that true and when do you think it will come in the market?
    Perhaps next year. Perhaps never. Canon has published two successive patents for a new 100-400mm lens, and they have not updated that one (yet). Given the recent track record, even if they announce a 35mm f/1.4L II tomorrow, we likely will not see it actually available for several months after the announcement. Here's a summery of recent releases:
    • EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye, announced 8/2010, available 7/2011. Delay = 11 months.
    • EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II and EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II, announced 8/2010, available 8/2011. Delay = 12 months.
    • EF 500mm f/4L IS II and EF 600mm f/4L IS II, announced 8/2010, available...who knows (Canon says, "We will announce a concrete release date when it becomes clear." Delay = 16 months so far and no end in sight.
    So, if you're interested in the 35L, there's really no point in waiting, unless you're not really all that interested...

The current version is an excellent lens. It could use weather sealing, and perhaps a little more corner sharpness wide open, both of which will likely be addressed if an updated version is released. But honestly, I think the one I have is just great.