Thread: Can I use Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Autofocus for group photos at weddings?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I would think 50 on a crop is definitely not wide enough. Depending on the size of the wedding I have found 24 on a FF only just manages most times.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    I would think 50 on a crop is definitely not wide enough. Depending on the size of the wedding I have found 24 on a FF only just manages most times.
    What is the number in that group that you usually takes pics with 24mm?

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi View Post
    What is the number in that group that you usually takes pics with 24mm?
    I am so inclined to get the 24mm , but I read many reviews regarding the focusing issues of 24mm, did you face that? Also is the 24mm only usage for group photos and environmental pics, or can we use it for any other purpose?

Perhaps you should think about getting a good fast zoom that covers those ranges. Like the 24-70mm F/2.8L, after you use it a while you will see what you really need.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Perhaps you should think about getting a good fast zoom that covers those ranges. Like the 24-70mm F/2.8L, after you use it a while you will see what you really need.
    Some how, I got a hang of the prime lens that I dont want to use the zoom, I have the 24-105 lens which is good, but I still love my primes 100mm f/2.8 lens and 135mm f/2 lens. So I am looking for another prime that can be used to take group pics

10 people wide from 10 feet is easy with FF with 24mm and back up double that stand on a ladder and you can get 60 people.
    It all depends when you a going to FF and if you intend to keep the crop body or sell it. As Neuro has said many time the 17-55 IS is about the best general purpose lens you can get for a crop body and would be a very wise investment if you are keeping that body.
    Wedding photographers are on the move a lot and sometimes the convenience of a quality zoom allows you to get the shot, with minimal fuss. That's why the preferred kit is 24-70or105mm and a 70-200mm. Especially if you are learning like I am.
    Good luck with your decisions.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    10 people wide from 10 feet is easy with FF with 24mm and back up double that stand on a ladder and you can get 60 people.
    It all depends when you a going to FF and if you intend to keep the crop body or sell it. As Neuro has said many time the 17-55 IS is about the best general purpose lens you can get for a crop body and would be a very wise investment if you are keeping that body.
    Wedding photographers are on the move a lot and sometimes the convenience of a quality zoom allows you to get the shot, with minimal fuss. That's why the preferred kit is 24-70or105mm and a 70-200mm. Especially if you are learning like I am.
    Good luck with your decisions.
    Thanks very much for the insight, I have 100mm and 135mm prime lens and I am looking for a wide angle, though I have 24-105mm, somehow the pics I took with primes are so outstanding that I dont like to use 24-105mm, though I will be retaining my crop, I want to totally move to FF