Thread: So, just picked up a 70-200 2.8 II, and...hmm...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Time to switch to Nikon

Yes the test shots here are sharper because they were shot using a 1Ds Mark III. I suggest you retest your lens and pay attention to your testing method to rule out errors. Post some test shots so other can see too. Welcome to the forum.

here are two wide open, 70mm screenshots at 1:1 from lightroom 3.5. I saw that if i open the files directly in raw--> photoshop, the processing alters of the results, even at 300dpi. I would post the raw file if my upload wasnt so slow- let me look into that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2011-12-23 at 2.28.34 PM.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2011-12-23 at 2.21.23 PM.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	301

My method is decidedly simple because my reference body is 'tuned' ... it produces extremely sharp photos. all of my lenses produce consistent performance on this body. i dont change the settings on it, so the results should always be predictable. Taking away the body, its rather easy for me to implicate the lens. This way has worked wonders for me for the last year.

As well, using this sites comparison tool, the 24-105 is definitly sharer at certain focal lengths wide open, but my question is do you think the shot of the 70-200 looks sharp to you. It does not to me, and ive done these chart tests a million times.